We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ryanair to offer *quiet flights*

Dublin, Ireland
reviews: 101
Ryanair to offer *quiet flights*

independent.ie/business/quiet-flights-and-ad…

Travelling The World
reviews: 17
1. Re: Ryanair to offer *quiet flights*

Some good initiatives here, especially getting rid of the captcha..

"The airline has advised customers who book directly on the Ryanair.com website that, from November 1 they will be given a 24 hour grace period to correct any ‘minor errors’ made in their original booking."

Quite apart from the acknowledgement that people can and do book on other sites, this is a good move, and one that they have been doing in practice for things like spelling errors in names for example. It still doesn't go as far as Easyjet though.

Edited: 6:31 am, October 25, 2013
Worthing, United...
reviews: 11
2. Re: Ryanair to offer *quiet flights*

Sounds good but did you read the whole article.

Ryanair are giving people 24 hours to correct minor errors, by that they mean typos, for free. Ryanair have been doing this forever and not just for the first twenty four hours, so now I guess there will be a new charge added for corrections later .

I love Ryanair but whatever they do always has a sting in the tail.

Jackie

UK
reviews: 88
3. Re: Ryanair to offer *quiet flights*

I guess the penny has finally dropped that the income from boarding fee printing is far outweighed by loss of income from a combination of bad publicity leading people to avoid them, and extra income they may get from a lower fee. For example, if they charged £10-£20 to print a card, they might get more revenue in total f than when its £70 and people move heaven and earth to avoid it.

Travelling The World
4. Re: Ryanair to offer *quiet flights*

"so now I guess there will be a new charge added for corrections later ."

That charge has always been there. It has just been waived a lot of the time at the discretion of the agent. No guarantees that typos would be fixed even ten minutes after booking. And sorry, but if someone is such a numpty as to not check their confirmation the minute they get it for any errors, then they deserve to pay an admin fee to get them corrected.

Leyland, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
reviews: 42
5. Re: Ryanair to offer *quiet flights*

Getting rid of the captcha for individuals was announced a couple of weeks ago. As Jackie says, they've been correcting typos free of charge anyway, and for longer than 24 hours. MOL has still pledged to continue his battle against OTAs and screen scraping, particularly eDreams and the like.

Travelling The World
6. Re: Ryanair to offer *quiet flights*

" MOL has still pledged to continue his battle against OTAs and screen scraping, particularly eDreams and the like."

Yes but screenscraping is quite a different issue from a third party booking a flight whether for a fee or not, as part of a "package". Ryanair has turned a blind eye to that practice forever because they know how much revenue they would lose if they prevented it.

UK
reviews: 88
7. Re: Ryanair to offer *quiet flights*

Yes but screenscraping is quite a different issue from a third party booking a flight whether for a fee or not, as part of a "package".

\=========

I don't see why Douglas, if a third party books a flight via screenscraping, Ryanair have no idea if that's being booked as a flight only or a package including rooms, car rental etc. They also probably cant distinguish between screen scraping to ontain flight details such as cost, and a real person booking anyway, that after is why the Captchas are there, to attempt to do that, but obviously they fail. and just annoy real customers

Travelling The World
8. Re: Ryanair to offer *quiet flights*

I'm saying it's different in the way FR approaches it. A real person booking on behalf of someone else just enters the captcha. FR doesn't really care about people doing that, and they realise they are pretty powerless to stop it. All they can do is make the (quite valid) point that if you book through another party you might not get all the relevant information you need to have a smooth flight.

Leyland, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
reviews: 42
9. Re: Ryanair to offer *quiet flights*

A bit more info on OTAs'

http://tinyurl.com/petuwjf

and todays Independent.ie article

www.travelmole.com/news_feature.php…

Edited: 7:01 am, October 25, 2013
London, United...
reviews: 23
10. Re: Ryanair to offer *quiet flights*

Have to say, it does appear that they are targeting the screen scrapers rather than the agents who manually book flights for pax.

Agree with jackie, I think this is a wolf dressed up in sheeps clothing. The 24 hour grace period probably just means they charge after this, with little to no waiving of the fee ( it's how you tell it,,instead of saying,,,we were in the habit of waiving the fee for this and now we won't, they sell it as a 24 hour benefit) and the reduced boarding pass fee will probably mean increased income for them, as more will pay it, and probably do so either willingly or with less complaint.

So I think both of these are simply additional income drivers. Say what you will about o Leary, but he's not an idiot when it comes to business and these two actions will drive up their income. Sorry, but I am quietly impressed.