We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beijing vs Hong Kong vs Taiwan vs Tokyo vs Bangkok

Houston, Texas
reviews: 200
Beijing vs Hong Kong vs Taiwan vs Tokyo vs Bangkok

Not sure where to put this other than in each of the forums for these places.

If you have not been to either of them and they all cost the same for a flight, which place/s would you choose in what order?

7 replies to this topic
kentucky
reviews: 37
1. Re: Beijing vs Hong Kong vs Taiwan vs Tokyo vs Bangkok

I've been to HKG twice--most recently 3 yrs ago for Chinese NYEve. Spent 9 days. Still have lots to see. Awesome food!

Beijing is interesting but not my fave. Wall is amazing to see, but city is very polluted.

In BKK right now--love it! Great prices and so many hotels .Loads to do in BKK alone.Easy access to side trips and extensions like Chiang Mai/Rai and islands/beaches.

Never been to Taiwan but have been to Shanghai. Big, modern city. All my stops in Tokyo have been near airport. can't help there. ggod luck.

Sydney/Melbourne
reviews: 41
2. Re: Beijing vs Hong Kong vs Taiwan vs Tokyo vs Bangkok

1. Hong Kong

2. Tokyo

3. Beijing

4. Bangkok

5. Taiwan

There are 120 combinations. If you get enough replies on this thread I'm sure you will see all of them.

It's such a personal and subjective choice.

For some it's based on shopping, others are interested in history, culture, art, architecture, photographic opportunities tourist attractions etc. Some people just like to go somewhere where they feel they are getting a lot of 'bang for their buck'. For others it's about how 'easy' a city is. Do they speak your language? Is there a good transport system to get around?

What are your priorities?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney
reviews: 30
3. Re: Beijing vs Hong Kong vs Taiwan vs Tokyo vs Bangkok

>>>Not sure where to put this other than in each of the forums for these places<<<

In Beyond Destination, either Holiday Travel, or Bargain Travel.

Hard to compare, each has its own merits, and it's entirely dependent on your taste.

Me, it's Tokyo, Hong Kong, Beijing, Taiwan, then Bangkok. And as above, Shanghai over Beijing.

Palmetto, Florida
reviews: 10
4. Re: Beijing vs Hong Kong vs Taiwan vs Tokyo vs Bangkok

Jordan

You work for a marketing company;)

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 36
5. Re: Beijing vs Hong Kong vs Taiwan vs Tokyo vs Bangkok

I've been to all of these and I could argue to put any of them up the top or the bottom of the list. They all have their advantages and disadvantages for different reasons. The time of year would be the first thing to look at that will rule in/out cities. Then how long you have and what you wanted to do.

Reading
reviews: 12
6. Re: Beijing vs Hong Kong vs Taiwan vs Tokyo vs Bangkok

I can only comment on two but I'd put Hong Kong way, way, way ahead of Bangkok.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
7. Re: Beijing vs Hong Kong vs Taiwan vs Tokyo vs Bangkok

I've visited them all, though Taiwan was a while ago and solely work oriented. My favorite is Bangkok (and the rest of Thailand), followed by Hong Kong, Beijing (though Shanghai is better), and then Tokyo.

Bangkok can be cheap and affordable, plus you can also visit other places in Thailand (Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Phuket). Tokyo is extremely clean but very expensive. You'll need a tourist visa to visit the People's Republic of China.

One thing you could do, visa free**, is travel to Hong Kong or Thailand via Beijing, and stop off in Beijing for up to 72 hours without a visa. I'd suspect Air China may give a good fare on that.

(** - assuming you have a US passport, or one of the other approved countries for the 72 hour visa free transit).

Reply to: Beijing vs Hong Kong vs Taiwan vs Tokyo vs Bangkok
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted