We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ticket shows First name and surname as the same

London, United...
Ticket shows First name and surname as the same

Hi,

I have booked flights with Oman Air and realised I have typed my first name with the surname. So now my ticket shows as Mr Jones Jones. Oman will not change the name on the ticket to show my first name but say they have put a note on the reservation for when I check in so 'should' be fine.

I'm stressing that I won't be able to get through security or board the plane etc. Does anyone have any suggestions. Although Oman have told me I 'Should' be fine, I'd be more comfortable with a 'You will be fine'?

The only thing I can think to do for complete peace of mind is to get a refund and book the flights again. I don't understand why it is a policy not to change the names on tickets, particuarly if the passport number etc is all the same!!

Any help / advice would be appreciated.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
reviews: 219
1. Re: Ticket shows First name and surname as the same

Really nothing more you can do other than pay a ticket change fee and talk to the airline about rebooking with the name change. Even that will have its share of challenges. It's your responsibility to ensure that all information on the ticket is correct. Changing names on tickets would open doors to fraud. No airline will do that. A typical scenario here is swapped family/surnames. In this case, your a bit more difficult. Hard to say if it will be an issue or not, but it might. While the airline can manage by its own protocol, it would have no control as to how it would be managed by security.

Good luck.

London, United...
2. Re: Ticket shows First name and surname as the same

Thanks for the advice. I have contacted the airline and they won't even do a name change for a fee which I think is odd. I think I will have to get a refund and re book the tickets to be sure.

Leyland, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
reviews: 42
3. Re: Ticket shows First name and surname as the same

They'll only refund if the fare rules of the ticket allow for refunds. Unless its a flexible ticket refunds aren't usually available. Tumbleweed has explained why name changes aren't done. Plus, if you could change names, people would just buy tickets when they were cheap, and then sell them on.

London, United...
4. Re: Ticket shows First name and surname as the same

I guess I am more worried about getting through security, but thinking about it when you go through to air side, they only ask for your ticket (I think) and not the passport as well. Therefore if Oman have put a note on the system like they say, then I should get issued a ticket on check in, and not have a problem getting through to the air side.

Not sure if I'm clutching at straws here?

Oregon
reviews: 17
5. Re: Ticket shows First name and surname as the same

I don't know about the UK, but in the US passports are checked along with boarding passes at security.

uk
reviews: 213
6. Re: Ticket shows First name and surname as the same

Passports are not checked at security in the UK but at check-in desks (for international flights) and also at the boarding gate

London, United...
7. Re: Ticket shows First name and surname as the same

Thanks for all your comments guys. Not sure whether to risk it or not!!

australia
reviews: 17
8. Re: Ticket shows First name and surname as the same

>>>>>Passports are not checked at security in the UK but at check-in desks (for international flights) and also at the boarding gate

I don't know about the UK, but in the US passports are checked along with boarding passes at security.>>>>>

But what about the country OP is travelling back from???

Rules are the airline ticket MUST MATCH the name on the passport for international travel with all airlines. Call centre staff are not as au fait as international check-in people hence the "should" response

IF Oman won't change it for a fee cancel and rebook you don't want to be stranded

Edited: 7:54 pm, October 24, 2013
Sydney/Melbourne
reviews: 47
9. Re: Ticket shows First name and surname as the same

At the very least I would be asking the airline to send you an email containing 'the note' they allegedly put on your reservation. I certainly wouldn't be heading into Oman or any other foreign country on the verbal assurance of some person on the phone who's name you probably don't even know and who may or may not even have the authority to provide that assurance.

10. Re: Ticket shows First name and surname as the same

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, October 26, 2014