We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ryanair and their speedy boarding scam - don't fall for it!

Brighton, United...
Ryanair and their speedy boarding scam - don't fall for it!

The whole idea of speedy boarding was designed for 'no frills' airlines where seat reservations were not possible. When I booked flights for me and my two young sons there was no obvious indication that seats could be reserved so I chose speedy boarding. When I completed the online check in 5 days before the flight was due to leave I saw that most of the seats had been reserved, rendering speedy boarding redundant and useless in terms of advantage.

I have every intention of making a legal claim against Ryanair as I expect something for my money and it looks like I will get no advantage at all from Speedy Boarding. It seems to me that Ryanair's speedy boarding is a scam.

Leyland, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
reviews: 42
1. Re: Ryanair and their speedy boarding scam - don't fall for it!

<< When I booked flights for me and my two young sons there was no obvious indication that seats could be reserved so I chose speedy boarding.>>

It asks you during the booking if you want to reserve seats! It's below where you enter the passengers details.

<<When I completed the online check in 5 days before the flight was due to leave I saw that most of the seats had been reserved,>>

It isn't possible that most of the seats had been reserved. Only seats in rows 2, 5, 15, 32, 33 and (emergency exit) rows 1, 16 & 17 c are available for prebooking.

London, United...
reviews: 5
2. Re: Ryanair and their speedy boarding scam - don't fall for it!

"I have every intention of making a legal claim against Ryanair"

Do keep us posted as to how that progresses. Many would be delighted to see you prevail. But hell will probably freeze over first. (Climate Change)

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 15
3. Re: Ryanair and their speedy boarding scam - don't fall for it!

If you'd waited until after your flight to complain you'd have known that only a handful of rows have reservable seats, leaving you a choice of 150 seats. But do come back to update us on your legal claim.

Watford, United...
reviews: 12
4. Re: Ryanair and their speedy boarding scam - don't fall for it!

there was no obvious indication that seats could be reserved

=================

The notice about reserving seats couldn't be more obvious if it stood up in your soup.

Worthing, United...
reviews: 11
5. Re: Ryanair and their speedy boarding scam - don't fall for it!

This is nuts!

There is no reply to this and if he contacts Ryanair they wont send one either.

Jackie

London
Destination Expert
for London
reviews: 73
6. Re: Ryanair and their speedy boarding scam - don't fall for it!

You can try but if you can't even use the right name you'll not get far. Most seats as mentioned are not reservable. Priority Boarding allows those who've booked it to board first (incl those with reservations) which are only half a dozen rows or so. And it's been no more of a scrum than any other airline I've flown, incl those with all allocated seating. So frankly you have no case.

I dare say Jackie will be along shortly to disabuse you further of this windmill tilting, shortly.......

I see I was right, if late:)

Edited: 7:34 am, October 22, 2013
Worthing, United...
reviews: 11
7. Re: Ryanair and their speedy boarding scam - don't fall for it!

Mr Marcoos why did you have to mention food. Now I've seen the word soup I have to make myself a bacon buttie, and I am on a diet.

Jackie

Leyland, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
reviews: 42
8. Re: Ryanair and their speedy boarding scam - don't fall for it!

Edited

Edited: 7:39 am, October 22, 2013
Watford, United...
reviews: 12
9. Re: Ryanair and their speedy boarding scam - don't fall for it!

Ah Jackie - Looks like I have found your achilles heel! No need to diet until the first day you need to ask for a seatbelt extender :-)

OP sounds a bit trolly to me.

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
reviews: 234
10. Re: Ryanair and their speedy boarding scam - don't fall for it!

And

you would not have been allowed to book rows 1,16 or 17 anyway as only adults are allowed to sit in these rows.

And

In all my many flights the Priority Boarding queue (where does speedy come from-another airline?) is never more than 25% of the total so you will have no problem in sitting together ,and with a wide choice of rows.

Don't blame the airline because you did not read the booking page-80 million pax seem to do it quite successfully. each year.

And as for taking legal action-your solicitor will tell you it would be totally unwarranted,and a waste of money as the error is yours,not the airline.

As your flight is soon,do ensure you are in the Priority Queue (clearly marked) when the gate opens (generally 45 minutes before your flight) and DO post how you get on.

SS