We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transit in Frankfurt

Gold Coast Australia
reviews: 2
Transit in Frankfurt

Hi,

We will be flying from Sydney to Frankfurt via Dubai next May and then continuing our journey to Berlin. For the last leg (FRA-TXL) we will have separat ticket meaning we will have to clear customs and immigrations in FRA, collect our luggage and then go to Air Berlin check-in to drop off bags and collect our boarding passes. We won't have to change terminals as Emirates arrive at terminal 1 and Air Berlin flight departs from terminal one.

The flight I was looking at departs 2 hours after our arrival time (EK flight gets in 1.15pm, AB flight leaves at 3.15pm). Is that sufficient time? Check-in closes 45min prior to departure, which will leave us with 75min to get off the plane, go through immigration, collect bags, clear customs and then head to check in again.

Is it all done rather quickly in FRA or will it take ages.

Thanks.

Cheers

Katrin

23 replies to this topic
Gold Coast Australia
1. Re: Transit in Frankfurt

It's actually terminal 2 for both flights. Sorry.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 11
2. Re: Transit in Frankfurt

In my opinion, that would not be enough time at any airport. If check-in closes 45 minutes ahead, you need to be in the check-in queue at least 60 minutes ahead, preferably more. And it can easily take an hour from the time that the plane's wheels touch down until you manage to collect your luggage.

Last year, we arrived in Frankfurt from Singapore and there was a horrible queue to get through Immigration. I was glad that we were connecting to Istanbul and could stay airside.

On separate tickets, if you miss the Air Berlin flight you will have to buy new tickets at walk-up prices.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney
reviews: 30
3. Re: Transit in Frankfurt

Little to no chance, even if the flight to FRA arrived on time, you won't get through the formalities quickly enough, let alone if your arrival is late.

Have you already purchased the connecting flight? If so, try and change it. If you can't, the discussion is a little moot.

Gold Coast Australia
4. Re: Transit in Frankfurt

I haven't booked anything yet. Just that the next flight wouldn't be until 6pm - so 5 hours lay over. I'll be travelling with 3 kids on my own, so didn't want to hang around airport for too long. Especially cos there won't be any Qantas Club lounge etc. But thanks. Might consider that option!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney
5. Re: Transit in Frankfurt

Travelling with three kids on your own, will only add to the time it takes for you to transit. So id say youve got zero chance. Should your flight be delayed, 5 hours is going to seem like nothing. Better to have a couple of hours up your sleeve, than to miss your connection and having to fork out for four new tickets.

There's plenty to do at FRA, including paid lounges, which again would be cheaper than replacement cost of tickets.

Edited: 1:04 am, October 22, 2013
London, United...
reviews: 8
6. Re: Transit in Frankfurt

In my opinion, no. German custom/immigration officials are very unsympathetic and could hold you up for checking your luggage or passport (my own experience) and if your initial flight is slightly delayed you could end up missing your last flight.

Edited: 1:20 am, October 22, 2013
Fredericia, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Bentota, Beruwala, Sri Lanka
reviews: 7
7. Re: Transit in Frankfurt

2 hours will likely not be enough.

Nuremberg, Germany
8. Re: Transit in Frankfurt

First of all EK and AB have an interline agreement and therefore you will be able to check your bags through all the way to Berlin. (Yes, I know that EK has no legal obligation to do so when booked on separate tickets, but I am pretty sure that they will).

Even if you couldn't check your bags through 2 hours is plenty of time for an international to domestic transfer in FRA. I have lost count how many times I collected my luggage in FRA over the last 30+ years, but it never took anywhere close to an hour.

And I also disagree that you have to be in the check-in line 60 minutes prior to the 45 minutes cut-off time. Plus, why not do a Web-Check-in if you are concerned about the time available in FRA.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney
9. Re: Transit in Frankfurt

I disagree strongly.

The OP hasn't bought tickets, has stated that she's travelling on her own (quite possibly the first time in FRA), with three kids in tow. I don't think it's a wise recommendation to advise her to allow only 2 hours.

Vastly different situation to someone who is familiar and has done so countless times.

Edited: 3:54 am, October 22, 2013
Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
reviews: 265
10. Re: Transit in Frankfurt

FRA is the worse hub in Europe, notably because you walk for ages, too often after a long bus ride. Just don't even consider the 2 hours option! Of course it could work if the incoming plane is on time, if there is no queue at immigration, if you don't wait too long for your luggage (yes, may-be you'd be able to check through but it is not guaranteed and you won't know before luggage drop-off), if ... Well, you see the odds...

The best solution? Integrating your last link in your tickets (probably possible since EY is an important AB shareholder - about 30%). At least, the connection would be guaranteed (may-be on a later flight, but guaranteed).

Reply to: Transit in Frankfurt
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted