We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Turkish Airlines from U.S. (Washington, Dules) to Florence

Richmond, Virginia
reviews: 1
Turkish Airlines from U.S. (Washington, Dules) to Florence

Some great fares are showing up on Turkish Airlines for a roundtrip flight between Washington, D, C. and Florence. Six of us friends are going in May 2014 and are wondering about people's experience with this airline traveling between the U.S. and Italy. Thanks so much.

10 replies to this topic
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
reviews: 33
1. Re: Turkish Airlines from U.S. (Washington, Dules) to Florence

Hey LJSVirginia:-) Turkish Air is considered one of the best European carriers.. but you do realize you'll have to fly all the way to Istanbul and backtrack from there?;-) Would check www.kayak.com/ for alternate options as well.. no reason to fly for practically 11 hours just to get to Istanbul when you can fly direct to Rome/Milan in about 9 or less;-) EnJOY!

Salisbury, United...
reviews: 55
2. Re: Turkish Airlines from U.S. (Washington, Dules) to Florence

Also look at flying to Pisa for Florence. Pisa is served by a much greater number of airlines. It does seem to be a vaste of time flying to Istanbul then back to Italy.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 57
3. Re: Turkish Airlines from U.S. (Washington, Dules) to Florence

Unless I had time to actually visit Istanbul I'd not want to fly there just to turn around and then fly back to Italy.

Often the best prices to Italy are into Milan or Rome and then you just take a short train ride to Florence.

Aluthgama, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Bentota, Beruwala, Sri Lanka
reviews: 7
4. Re: Turkish Airlines from U.S. (Washington, Dules) to Florence

www.airlinequality.com/Forum/turkish.htm

znojmo
reviews: 12
5. Re: Turkish Airlines from U.S. (Washington, Dules) to Florence

Turkish are very good, if you have time you could stopover for a few days in Istanbul. We did this year and it only cost a little more.

Berkeley, CA
reviews: 12
6. Re: Turkish Airlines from U.S. (Washington, Dules) to Florence

The biggest problem you'll have if you stop over in Istanbul is how much you will regret you hadn't spent more time there.

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 75
7. Re: Turkish Airlines from U.S. (Washington, Dules) to Florence

For everyone saying only use Turkish Air if you actually want to see Istanbul, just note that Turkish Air often runs just ridiculously low fares from the US to Istanbul. From Chicago, we went once for $500, which is not much more than it costs me to fly to California. So it's not surprising to me that the cheapest way to get to Italy was through Turkish Air and Istanbul. Yes, it's out of the way, but it would not surprise me if the OP found a really cheap fare that way.

TA was great, also. From a quality standpoint definitely nicer than the big USA carriers or European carriers like Lufthansa, at least in economy.

To the OP, also, I have to say, I've been to Florence and to Istanbul and, honestly, I'd spend the week in Istanbul. Nothing against Florence. And I know Italy is a top destination. But Istanbul is very, very underrated.

Houston, Texas
reviews: 169
8. Re: Turkish Airlines from U.S. (Washington, Dules) to Florence

@ Post #1.

Well if the prices are 200 bucks and cheaper it is worth it especially if you are paying for more than just yourself. Figure the first day you are there you won't do hardly anything for activities, so consider it kinda like 2 days gone. The day you fly and the next day.

Houston, Texas
9. Re: Turkish Airlines from U.S. (Washington, Dules) to Florence

@ the OP,

I don't even see an option for Florence from Washington DC on turkishairlines.com

They have Rome, Milan, Venice, Naples

Houston, Texas
10. Re: Turkish Airlines from U.S. (Washington, Dules) to Florence

@ Post 3.

Price talks, depends on how much you want to spend and how many days you want to be somewhere. Honestly it is probably cheaper to fly to Istanbul and stay a day or two and then fly to Italy from Istanbul.

Reply to: Turkish Airlines from U.S. (Washington, Dules) to Florence
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted