We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

United airlines rip off

reviews: 1
United airlines rip off

On a recent United flight, my husband and I upgraded from coach to first class. They assured us there would be no change fee. The very next day our Amex was hit with a $400 fee from United. Thinking this would be an easy fix, we called United. A very rude man in India, assured us that yes this was a mistake but the only way to get our money back was to complete a very lengthy on line form. My husband completed the form only to have the form black out when we went to send it to United. Think about it, what an amazingly clever scam, they took our money, admit it was their mistake and now they are sitting on it while we try to jump through hoops to get it back! If it weren't such a large sum, we might be tempted to say screw it and walk away. Bet that's what they're hoping!

8 replies to this topic
DC
1. Re: United airlines rip off

United has had a copay for upgrades for quite some time. It wasn't their mistake it was yours.

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 15
2. Re: United airlines rip off

"It wasn't their mistake it was yours."

The OP's silly conspiracy theories aside, if she was indeed given the wrong information about the fee twice that would be United's fault.

3. Re: United airlines rip off

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 2:05 pm, October 21, 2013

Melbourne
4. Re: United airlines rip off

You don't say if this was a points upgrade or if you paid for it, but according to this page from June 2012 (https:/…a-guide-to-upgrading-your-flight.aspx) if you buy an upgrade then you pay the difference in fare. If you use points it's the miles plus a service fee of up to $600 each way.

Bloomfield, New York
5. Re: United airlines rip off

Another reason I don't go with United if I have a choice...trying to discuss anything with their overseas customer service is ridiculous! I had a ticket booked for my father's birthday. The week before I was to leave, he became ill and I needed to get there earlier. After talking to their customer service, and not understanding what exactly my options were, I booked on another airline and managed to get there in time. As to the original ticket I had, I gave up trying to figure out how to rebook it. They told me to rebook and MAYBE the $150 change ticket would be refunded due to my father's death. MAYBE was not good enough when I could get a ticket for less than what it would have cost me with the additional $150.

I understand they are in the business to make money, so in no way am I trying to get something for nothing,BUT being able to clearly understand my options is important. Their customers service is awful!

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 15
6. Re: United airlines rip off

A bit harsh to complain that they were offering to consider a refund of the change fee as a goodwill gesture.

Seattle, Washington
reviews: 85
7. Re: United airlines rip off

Op - your post is confusing. Of course there is a fee to upgrade your seats. I am wondering if there was just a misunderstanding? It's not free.

JEM4258 - did you cancel your UA ticket before the flight departed? If so, you can probably get your money back, usually minus a $50 charge, due to your father's death (my sympathies, by the way). When my husband died, I got the entire value of a ticket back with very little problem. I simply sent in the death certificate and copy of the itinerary with a refund request. From UA's webpage:

Refund request for nonrefundable tickets — unplanned event

United will refund change fees and tickets in certain cases. All requests must be received prior to the ticket’s expiration date and must be accompanied by proper documentation (see “Documentation requirements and processing” below). We will refund tickets only when the unplanned event prevents the use of that ticket within one year of the ticket’s date of issue. In all other instances, the fare can be credited toward future travel, though the customer may receive a refund for flight change fees (see “Change fee refunds” below).

If your refund request is approved, a refund, minus a $50 USD processing fee*, will be provided to the original form of payment.

This policy applies in the following cases:

Death of the traveler, traveling companion or immediate family member

Travelers in the reservation actively on jury duty during the dates of planned travel

Certain illness situations

https:/…tabs-4

Bloomfield, New York
8. Re: United airlines rip off

Thanks, gracie-boo.

Reply to: United airlines rip off
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted