We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Expedia Credit Card Bait and Switch

Springfield...
reviews: 5
Expedia Credit Card Bait and Switch

I recently booked a flight from Washington DC to Mexico City on the expedia web site. As I was completing the purchase it told me I could save $100 if I clicked the button and got an Expedia Citi Credit Card and used it to pay for the ticket. I did this. BIG MISTAKE! Turns out you only get the $100 rebate if you get the credit card that has an annual few. The regular card gets you a $50 rebate several months after you make the charge and you accrue interest in the interim. Also interest rate is extremely high. Fortunately I can pay off the card and leave it open until I get the rebate and then close the account. But did not see any of this clarification when I was applying for the card. Feels like a true Bait and Switch. Be forwarned! Also most cards only bill you when you take the flight not when you book. So there're using your money months in advance.

40 replies to this topic
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 53
1. Re: Expedia Credit Card Bait and Switch

Also most cards only bill you when you take the flight not when you book.

Eh?

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 13
2. Re: Expedia Credit Card Bait and Switch

"Feels like a true Bait and Switch. Be forwarned!" - More a case of not reading what you were applying for.

"Also most cards only bill you when you take the flight not when you book." - In my view that's utter rubbish, credit cards charge you when you make the purchase.

Springfield...
reviews: 5
3. Re: Expedia Credit Card Bait and Switch

There was nothing to read when you applied. Simple application with no options given. I'm not an ignorant woman and travel extensively. Believe me this is a tricky set-up. Have no trouble getting myself out of this. Just want to give others a heads up.

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 75
4. Re: Expedia Credit Card Bait and Switch

Regardless of which card you use for the flight, you are always charged when you purchase the ticket, not when you take the flight. If the airlines did not do that, then people could pretty easily manipulate things to get a better airfare by buying and cancelling flights before they were charged.

Melbourne
reviews: 7
5. Re: Expedia Credit Card Bait and Switch

A 30 second check on Expedia would lead you to this page where you could have actually read the T&Cs associated with the deal and the card itself:

expedia.com/p/…cobrand_card_compare.htm

Boston
6. Re: Expedia Credit Card Bait and Switch

"Also most cards only bill you when you take the flight not when you book. So there're using your money months in advance."

Sorry, all credit cards bill you once you make reservations (within the cycle) not when you take the flight.

I recently booked on Expedia to get the 10,000 points to add to my rewards total(where I have booked many multi city trips) and opted for the card to get both the discount and points) and had to give them all the usual info, income, own/rent etc. No confusion I was applying for their card. Also, the $50.00 credit is after you purchase $1500.00 on the card.

All very clear! You need to read the print and its not small print either.

Des Moines, Iowa
reviews: 26
7. Re: Expedia Credit Card Bait and Switch

I beat MelbTraveller85....I found that information you claim is not there in about 25 seconds.

Most of you claims appear to be bogus, sorry.

Des Moines, Iowa
reviews: 26
8. Re: Expedia Credit Card Bait and Switch

Many travelers may be interested in knowing what card, airline, travel agent, or anybody bills you when you take the flight and not when you book the ticket. Please share.

Paris, France
reviews: 157
9. Re: Expedia Credit Card Bait and Switch

<<Also most cards only bill you when you take the flight not when you book.>>

Never happened to me!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney
reviews: 30
10. Re: Expedia Credit Card Bait and Switch

>>>I'm not an ignorant woman and travel extensively<<<

But do you work in a bank or a credit card company? I don't see any relevance in that statement.

Where exactly is the switch? I don't see anywhere that you are provided with a different product.

Edited: 9:47 pm, October 17, 2013
Reply to: Expedia Credit Card Bait and Switch
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted