We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel Trolley as cabin baggage

Coventry, United...
Travel Trolley as cabin baggage

I intend to take a travel trolley on my Air India flight to Mumbai. I have cabin baggage allowance of 7 kg as advised by my agent but I was expecting 10 kg. I am carrying a travel trolley which is slightly bigger in dimension given on the airline’s website. Is Air India strict about their baggage rules or are they able to consider slight variation (in excess)? There is no check in baggage and I will take on my travel this trolley as my only luggage. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks.

30 replies to this topic
wirral
reviews: 74
1. Re: Travel Trolley as cabin baggage

Forget it. The trolley itself probably weighs 4kgs so apart from your washbag there won't be much you can get in at 3kgs. Anybody who risks breaking any airline's terms and conditions is asking for an expensive mistake.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds
reviews: 130
2. Re: Travel Trolley as cabin baggage

How much is slightly bigger? Regardless of people getting away with bigger cabin baggage in the past has no bearing on what might happen to you.

If it's too big then it's too big I'm afraid.

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Destination Expert
for Poland
reviews: 42
3. Re: Travel Trolley as cabin baggage

Yup, really do not recommend trying it. Get a proper-sized wheely bag that fits your airline's rules and work from there. Never assume that you will "get away" with anything these days.

London, United...
4. Re: Travel Trolley as cabin baggage

Air India stipulates that an odd sized cabin baggage/travel trolley not conforming to the specified dimension will not be allowed in the cabin. Such baggage will be removed and will be loaded in the hold, as per rules. Almost every airline is strict about baggage policies, so it is better to abide the baggage rules stipulated by the airline.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 11
5. Re: Travel Trolley as cabin baggage

It is always a good idea to assume that an airline's luggage rules mean exactly what they say.

Watford, United...
reviews: 12
6. Re: Travel Trolley as cabin baggage

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

===========

1) Buy a new bag.

2) Don't make assumptions.

There is a size restriction for a reason. Don't try to play the system, it could be expensive.

Bristol, United...
7. Re: Travel Trolley as cabin baggage

While it makes sense to keep the weight (cabin/checked-in) within limits we were allowed to carry on with a couple of kgs extra on our recent flight to delhi at no extra charge maybe because the staff was a little considerate. We have flown with air india a number of times and have not faced any issue with little excess baggage.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
reviews: 65
8. Re: Travel Trolley as cabin baggage

One exception that breaks the rules doesn't mean others will be allowed to do so.

Hook
9. Re: Travel Trolley as cabin baggage

Do not expect airlines to be lenient when it comes to pre-determined set of rules they want passengers to abide by. And don’t be surprised if soon they start charging individuals as per their body weight ;) There is much debate on the internet on the issue of obese passengers who are asked to buy a 2nd seat by many airlines.

Hook
10. Re: Travel Trolley as cabin baggage

We travelled with them and had to part with some of our stuff just to be able to match their baggage allowance because they were persistent to not allow us to board. The excess baggage charges of are exorbitant. It was our first experience with them and while I understand its about there policies, I don’t plan to travel with them in future as they failed miserably to impress me with their services.

Edited: 6:42 am, October 23, 2013
Reply to: Travel Trolley as cabin baggage
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted