We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airline won't allow us to add middle name to ticket

toronto
Airline won't allow us to add middle name to ticket

We've always used a travel agent to arrange our trips for us, but this time we decided to go online and purchase a ticket to Hawaii through Expedia. Once it was processed we noticed that we did not add the middle name of one of the travellers, just the first and last name. The passport has first, middle and last name. We contacted Expedia, who contacted United Airlines, but United Airlines said they would not allow us to add the middle name now. We were told that we would not get through security if the ticket and passport names do not match exactly. We don't travel until January. Any ideas on who we can contact to assist us with this besides us having to buy another return ticket for $900. This doesn't make sense as to why United can't or won't cooperate.

21 replies to this topic
Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
1. Re: Airline won't allow us to add middle name to ticket

Middle names do not matter. You do not have to worry. Only the first and last names have to match exactly.

Wellington, New...
reviews: 1
2. Re: Airline won't allow us to add middle name to ticket

I'm in the process of booking with Air Tahiit Nui - they only asked for a first and last name for flights into LAX - I was slightly surprised - but they ticket people into LAX all the time

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 18
3. Re: Airline won't allow us to add middle name to ticket

When I fly internationally I never use my middle name. ANd I've never had any problems. ( and yes, it is on my passport)

toronto
4. Re: Airline won't allow us to add middle name to ticket

Thank you for the comments. This is reassuring.

Canada
reviews: 24
5. Re: Airline won't allow us to add middle name to ticket

The middle name matters not....

Airlines do not routinely include it.

The passport /ticket exact match has to be ...like William Smith...on both documents vs..."Billy Smith " on one and William Smith on the other.

The middle name is of no consequence....rest assure?..unless of course it is entirely different, but it's inclusion or omission is not an issue.

. My spouse has only a middle initial on his Passport. My ticket has first and last name only , yet Passport has First, middle and last. It is of concern to no one.First and last names match exactly.

Edmonton
reviews: 4
6. Re: Airline won't allow us to add middle name to ticket

My husband and I recently travelled between Canada and the US on United Airlines using Aeroplan points. Our Aeroplan profile has our middle initials so the tickets showed the initials. We didn't notice it beforehand; however our passports do not include our middle initials, and we were therefore not able to do online check-in because we would get a message indicating that our tickets and passport info did not match. There was not a problem to check in at the airport but we had to stand in line for over an hour because we could not check in using the kiosk either, for the same reason. It was a bit of a headache.

Pittsburgh...
reviews: 12
7. Re: Airline won't allow us to add middle name to ticket

I am one of those who are known by their middle name, with a first initial. Everything I have lists me that way.... except my passport. I began booking all of my travel with my first and middle names in the space allotted to the first name..... i.e, I use J Henry Smith as my proper name. But, for travel, I book myself as "John Henry" (blank middle name) Smith. So, on my ticket there is technically no middle name ..... though it is there. Numerous flights, many immigration situations, never had an issue.

Fortaleza, CE
reviews: 360
8. Re: Airline won't allow us to add middle name to ticket

"We were told . . ." By whom? UA? Expedia? Seems incorrect info. Did you phone UA yourself? TSA? I agree, you won't have a problem.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
9. Re: Airline won't allow us to add middle name to ticket

< We were told that we would not get through security if the ticket and passport names do not match exactly. >

We were told that we would not get through security if the ticket and passport first name & surname do not match exactly.

toronto
10. Re: Airline won't allow us to add middle name to ticket

Expedia could not help us and told us to contact United. United would not make the necessary changes. We spoke to two different United representatives. One told us we would not get through security. The other told us we could take our chances and we might get through security. They told us the safer way was to rebook. Well, we did not want to take any chances,so we had to rebook, using the proper name and a credit for the original trip was given to us. Mind you, that credit is only good for one year and not everyone can take two - three trips per year.

Oh well, lesson learned! When booking on expedia, it does state that the ticket names must match exactly with passport names. I am a bit surprised though, because my friend had left out her middle name on ticket. Not wanting to take any chances she contacted Southwest and asked them to add her middle name to the ticket. They did it -- no problem.

Reply to: Airline won't allow us to add middle name to ticket
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted