We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crammed seating on Thomson flights

Frome, United...
Crammed seating on Thomson flights

On a flight from Gatwick to Larnaka, Cyprus, I was unable to sit properly in my seat at the rear of an aged Thomson Air 757. I was able to get into the seat, but could not sit back, so I stood until takeoff. A steward noticed my predicament, and arranged a seat with more legroom after takeoff, but this separated me from my 3 fellow travellers.

On our return flight, as Thomson staff failed to convince me that the seat pitch was no different from Ryan Air or Easyjet, we purchased the remaining 2 seats with extra legroom, with our wives sitting immediately behind us. Our seats were uncomfortable as there was no noticeable padding left in any of the seats, but I could sit, and get up when I pleased. The backs of our extra legroom seats were uncontrollable, and reclined, despite our best efforts, so our wives were even more constricted.All other passengers we talked to agreed the seats were far too crammed together, and narrower than usual. Indeed, a fellow passenger suggested that, under animal welfare, cattle would not be allowed to travel in such cramped conditions.

I have emailed Thomson, on their site, but it seems to date they have chosen not to reply.

14 replies to this topic
Exeter, United...
reviews: 31
1. Re: Crammed seating on Thomson flights

And your question is......?

Frome, United...
2. Re: Crammed seating on Thomson flights

Should Thomson be legally forced to provide adequate seating on their flights?

Llanelli, United...
reviews: 175
3. Re: Crammed seating on Thomson flights

Are you just telling us that you had an uncomfortable flight, and will be using a different airline in future?

Llanelli, United...
reviews: 175
4. Re: Crammed seating on Thomson flights

>>>Should Thomson be legally forced to provide adequate seating on their flights?<<<

Are you able to provide a definition of adequate?

Leyland, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
reviews: 34
5. Re: Crammed seating on Thomson flights

If you think Thomsons are bad, you should try Thomas Cook, although the pitch is supposed to be the same.

Exeter, United...
reviews: 31
6. Re: Crammed seating on Thomson flights

You get what you pay for. Why should the law interfere? If you don't like it use someone else.

I don't like particular newspapers or certain cars. I don't buy them! The law should not force them to change.

You chose your flight, it is your right to make a different choice next time.

reviews: 5
7. Re: Crammed seating on Thomson flights

Why didn't you ask to be shown how to operate the recline on your seats? Your wives would have been much more comfortable.

On my first solo flight I was a little lost as I'd always flown with my parents who took care of everything for me. Fortunately the cabin crew were happy to show me what was what and the flight went well.

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 14
8. Re: Crammed seating on Thomson flights

If by "adequate seating" you mean more legroom then I assume you will be happy to pay a higher fare as this will be the result of fewer seats with more legroom.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
reviews: 203
9. Re: Crammed seating on Thomson flights

I flew Glasgow-Tenerife on Thomson 5 years ago... At the back... Beside the toilets... Couldn't recline. And I agree there was no padding in the seats and sticky-outy bits.

It was an uncomfortable 4.5 hours. You have my sympathies.

I wouldn't have dreamed raising this with an official complaint.

I don't expect you will get a reply from the airline. I'm sure they are aware of their fleet and it's shortcomings.

Just move on and enjoy Cyprus!

Abs :)

wirral
reviews: 67
10. Re: Crammed seating on Thomson flights

Welcome to Economy-class flying.No First or Business Classes on Thomson Airways.No surprises there.

Reply to: Crammed seating on Thomson flights
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted