We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6'6" 210lbs flying intl. in coach, any hope?

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 1
6'6" 210lbs flying intl. in coach, any hope?

I'm a big boy (not fat, just big boned) and hate flying for the most part, because it's uncomfortable and being big and crammed into a small seat only exacerbates the claustrophobia. I can't afford business class and no telling if I can get exit row, and I definitely don't travel enough to use miles for any upgrades. What are the hopes for me on a flight to HKG from SFO, patience-wise? To be honest after about 2 hours on any domestic flight my back and legs start hurting pretty seriously and I get a little anxious. Just not sure how I can pull off the international 12 hour flight, but I'm still in my 20s so I think it's now or never, as the older I get the less patience I'll have for these types of flights. I'd like to go to Asia for my honeymoon next spring and getting a little tense about it already. Thanks for any input or suggestions.

39 replies to this topic
Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 15
1. Re: 6'6" 210lbs flying intl. in coach, any hope?

Some options I can think of:

- earn airline points for upgrades by using creditcards.

- fly an airline that lets you book exit row seats at the time of booking.

- fly in preimum economy - more expensive than economy but cheaper than business.

London, United...
reviews: 22
2. Re: 6'6" 210lbs flying intl. in coach, any hope?

Nope, you're screwed, but it's only a few hours,,,:-))

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Destination Expert
for Poland
reviews: 42
3. Re: 6'6" 210lbs flying intl. in coach, any hope?

On a quick check you're looking at roughly double the price to fly premium economy - I'd not hesitate!

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 14
4. Re: 6'6" 210lbs flying intl. in coach, any hope?

The bottom line is to either put up with it in coach, hope to get an exit row, pay more to fly in a different class or not fly at all.

At least on a long haul flight you should have plenty of opportunity to get out of your seat and walk around to ease the pain.

Worthing, United...
reviews: 11
5. Re: 6'6" 210lbs flying intl. in coach, any hope?

Hi

I would go Premium Economy if I was in your position.

Jackie

norfolk
reviews: 30
6. Re: 6'6" 210lbs flying intl. in coach, any hope?

i'd go to hawaii.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
reviews: 14
7. Re: 6'6" 210lbs flying intl. in coach, any hope?

Book with Cathay Pacific and fly in Premium Economy. Seat pitch is 38 inches, seat width is 19 inches. CX have 2-4-2 seating in their PE cabin as opposed to 3-4-3 in the standard Economy cabin.

UA have an Economy + product as well, but it offers just a bit more legroom in the regular Economy cabin; CX have a few more bells and whistles in PE (in terms of meals and amenity kit, I think), but keep in mind it is *not* a Business class light product, but a slightly enhanced Economy product.

There will always be the question 'is it worth it?' which has as many answers as travellers on this forum. I'd say it's worth every penny; others' views will vary.

Exeter, United...
reviews: 31
8. Re: 6'6" 210lbs flying intl. in coach, any hope?

Go by slow boat to China ( territory ) instead?

Banbury
9. Re: 6'6" 210lbs flying intl. in coach, any hope?

At the risk of seeming insensitive, it's not exactly going to be a great experience for the one gets to sit next to you.

London
reviews: 73
10. Re: 6'6" 210lbs flying intl. in coach, any hope?

If he's on his honeymoon, one would assume that would be the wife

Reply to: 6'6" 210lbs flying intl. in coach, any hope?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted