We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to deal with Baggage on a Connecting Flight??

reviews: 5
How to deal with Baggage on a Connecting Flight??

Hi,

I'm travelling from London, Heathrow to Buenos Aires on the 8th Dec. My connecting flight is through Houston airport in Texas.

Will I need to pick up my baggage, and then check it in again so that it is on my connecting flight? Or will my airline do this for me?

ALSO if I do need to pick up my bag, will 2 hours be enough time to do so (a long with getting through security and border control etc.?)

Thanks!

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 60
1. Re: How to deal with Baggage on a Connecting Flight??

Will you be on one ticket or on 2 separate tickets?

Which airline/s?

Remember that you need to get an ESTA or Visa because everyone who lands in the USA goes through immigration and customs even if they are just catching another flight.

2hrs. may be enough time but more time is always better in case the first flight is late.

2. Re: How to deal with Baggage on a Connecting Flight??

One ticket, with Lufthansa (but they're using a united airlines plane), and then connecting to another united airlines plane.

Already booked my flight so fingers crossed my first flight isn't late!

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 24
3. Re: How to deal with Baggage on a Connecting Flight??

Houston is unique amongst US airports as it offers a "one stop" service to international passengers in transit but I'm not familiar with the service.

Hopefully GeoMedic (a forum destination expert) will be along soon to provide more information as he is familiar with the one stop service at the airport.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
4. Re: How to deal with Baggage on a Connecting Flight??

Here's how OneStop works at IAH.

For International to International flights, your bags are through checked to the final destination, so you do NOT have to collect them, clear customs and recheck them.

You also use a special OneStop immigration line, where the immigration officer performs the customs check on your carry on bags (which he looks at). Once you've been stamped in you go straight to security for your connecting flight. It is a much faster line than standard immigration, as it is used by only (a) INTL to INTL transit pax, and (b) pax whose final destination is the US but have carry ons only.

You will still need and ESTA, and you will still need to complete a customs declaration form.

Two hours should be fine assuming an on time arrival.

Edited: 12:12 pm, October 15, 2013
5. Re: How to deal with Baggage on a Connecting Flight??

Thanks so much!

6. Re: How to deal with Baggage on a Connecting Flight??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, October 17, 2014