We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting through airport w/o a lot of walking and standing?

Sharm al Sheikh
reviews: 3
Getting through airport w/o a lot of walking and standing?

My parents are planning a overseas trip. They will have to go through Pittsburgh International Airport and JFK Airport. They are not able to do a lot of walking or standing. I would like to arrange a way for them to be transported around the airport without having to walk through those huge terminals. Also, standing in line for them would be difficult for long periods of time.

Is there a service you would recommend for them they would either be able to expedite the process for them, or at least make it easier? What are the costs of these services?

uk
reviews: 21
1. Re: Getting through airport w/o a lot of walking and standing?

And make sure ALL segments of their flights are coveted.

Edited: 6:44 am, October 15, 2013
uk
2. Re: Getting through airport w/o a lot of walking and standing?

You should request assistance at the airport from who ever you are flying with and ask for wheel chair assistance for both your parents. This costs nothing ! Not up on USA disability law but I am quite confident that it will cover this.

Don't leave to the last minute as soon as flight is booked ring your airline and request wheelchair assistance.

Deb

uk
3. Re: Getting through airport w/o a lot of walking and standing?

Not sure what happened there obviously post 2 is meant to be post 1!

Deb

Sydney/Melbourne
reviews: 50
4. Re: Getting through airport w/o a lot of walking and standing?

If your parents are hesitant (my mum was. She hated the idea of being in a wheelchair ) remind them that passengers requiring special assistance get priority boarding so they won't have to push and shove they way onto the aircraft.

uk
5. Re: Getting through airport w/o a lot of walking and standing?

Yes it is a bit of a blow to your pride to admit you need help, but tell your parents no one will look at them or think any less of them and there is no point starting a holiday/ trip in pain.

Make use of the help available that's what it's there for.

I was in my early 40s when I had to concede my pride to practicality. !

Deb

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 20
6. Re: Getting through airport w/o a lot of walking and standing?

Wheelchair assistance is available at no charge in American airports. I know at JFK they will board you first BUT ( and I think this is all airports) ask that you be the LAST off the plane! The individual pushing the chair will push you the entire way and help retrieve your luggage. ( but you will need a redcap--since they can not push the chair and push/ pull the luggage ( unless you parent can hold it on their lap.) While this service is free of charge your parents should make sure they have American $$ on them so they can offer an appropriate tip to the individual who provides assistance.

7. Re: Getting through airport w/o a lot of walking and standing?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, October 17, 2014