We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

flying with American Airlines , link to pay for baggage

Volos, Greece
reviews: 89
flying with American Airlines , link to pay for baggage

Hi ,I am flying with American Airlines from Chicago to Memphis . I keep on trying in AA site to find how and where to pay on line for my checked baggage and I can't find a link . Can you help me , please ?

11 replies to this topic
Liverpool, UK
reviews: 14
1. Re: flying with American Airlines , link to pay for baggage

As far as I'm aware there is no facility to pay baggage charges online in advance of travel - you'll need to pay when you check in.

Volos, Greece
2. Re: flying with American Airlines , link to pay for baggage

Dear Tom much obliged for your kind answer .I felt so fool searching in AA site . When you say '' at check in'' you mean at the airport , I suppose ? Such a loss of time !! Thanks again .

Liverpool, UK
3. Re: flying with American Airlines , link to pay for baggage

"When you say '' at check in'' you mean at the airport" - Yes but you can check in and pay for baggage at the Curbside (my preferred option), at the normal counters or at the self service kiosks (I think).

Volos, Greece
4. Re: flying with American Airlines , link to pay for baggage

I will be at the airport landing from Greece . So , shall I go to the baggage drop off ? I think that at the airport of Memphis there isn't a curbside .

Liverpool, UK
5. Re: flying with American Airlines , link to pay for baggage

There is curbside check in at both Chicago and Memphis - I prefer to use this as it's normally quieter and avoids having to drag luggage through the terminal as the cabs drop you off at the curbside check in for the airlines normally.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/urls/curbside.jsp

Volos, Greece
6. Re: flying with American Airlines , link to pay for baggage

Much obliged , thank you !!

Nashville, TN
reviews: 8
7. Re: flying with American Airlines , link to pay for baggage

"I will be at the airport landing from Greece"

This makes a big difference. Is your AA ticket booked as a separate ticket or just a continuation of your International flight. Baggage handling procedures will be different in each case.

1. If the AA flight is a separate ticket, you will need to do as noted above and pay for the baggage at the airport.

2. If the AA flight is part of your itinerary and booke on the same ticket as your flight from Greece, there should be no domestic baggage fees for the flight to Memphis. Your bags should be checkeed through to Memphis. You will arrive in Chicago, clear Immigration, then pick up yoour bags and clear customs. Once you clear customs, there's a baggage drop-off point for passengers that are on a connecting flight. Drop your bag off there, then head for your next flight. You should be arriving at T5 (International terminal) and going to T3 (the AA terminal). There's a train connecting the terminals.

NOTE: Be sure to pack any liquids that exceed the 3-1-1 rule in your checked baggage before you turn it over to the airline. You will need to clear security when you arrive at T3.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
8. Re: flying with American Airlines , link to pay for baggage

Can you not pay for baggage when you check in on line? I've not done so with American, but the ability to pay for bags is (for other airlines at least) part of the Manage My Booking function and / or an option during the OLCI process; MMB is called My Trips at the AA website.

AA do not fly from Athens to Chicago, so if you have booked a through ticket I suspect your first flights will be with BA. As above, with a through ticket you won't have to pay for baggage on the domestic flight. If you are flying with BA from ATH to ORD (via London Heathrow) you may check in on line at the BA website for all flights.

Dallas, Texas
reviews: 2
9. Re: flying with American Airlines , link to pay for baggage

Hello Kyriaki.

Please keep in mind that regardless of which carrier you fly to the USA (BA,or AA) you will have to change terminals upon arrival after you go through immigration and customs.

Take the train to terminal 3 which serves all AA domestic flights and international departures( but not international arrivals) in Chicago.

I believe there is a baggage drop off right after customs ,look for it.

Make certain your bags have the correct flight/destination on the tag before dropping them off there, if in doubt go to the counter and ask.

Then go to the train for terminal 3 and the security check there.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
reviews: 76
10. Re: flying with American Airlines , link to pay for baggage

I don't think you can pay for bags online with AA either. I fly AA often and travel with excess baggage occasionally for business reasons, and I don't recall seeing a link to pay online. We usually pay at the counter (Oneworld status so I use the First or Business Class counters), or at one of the automated kiosks. Make sure you have your AA record locator ready although you can swipe your credit card or passport as well for the system to look up your name.

Reply to: flying with American Airlines , link to pay for baggage
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted