We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel from UK to Holland with Hellenic Police ID

Thessaloniki, Greece
Travel from UK to Holland with Hellenic Police ID

Hello,

I want to ask what documents do I need to travel from the UK to Holland. I am Greek and want to travel using my Hellenic Police ID. I know I can come to the UK with my ID, but can I travel from the UK to Holland and back using the same ID? I am about to book my tickets so I want to avoid last minute surprises.

So to recap I want to do the following trip using my greek ID : Greece -> UK -> Holland -> UK -> Greece :)

Thanks in advance.

18 replies to this topic
Thessaloniki, Greece
1. Re: Travel from UK to Holland with Hellenic Police ID

Sorry a correction, by "Hellenic Police ID" I mean the official Greek ID not a policeman's ID. It is issued by the Greek police, that's why I used this term at first.

Thanks Again.

Essex
reviews: 71
2. Re: Travel from UK to Holland with Hellenic Police ID

With a proper passport there is no problem...

London, United...
reviews: 5
3. Re: Travel from UK to Holland with Hellenic Police ID

Look on the website of the airline you are flying with. That should state what identification that particular airline requires.

Warsaw, Poland
Destination Expert
for Warsaw
4. Re: Travel from UK to Holland with Hellenic Police ID

No problem. National IDs are valid travel documents in the EU. I almost never take my passport when I'm travelling in Europe.

Australia
reviews: 42
5. Re: Travel from UK to Holland with Hellenic Police ID

What about to the UK? My daughter has the dilemma of she has an Australian passport that she needs to send of for a Ukraine Visa, which would be fine if she didn't have a Munich trip planned in between (long story why she did this)

However, we have just received our long awaited national ID cards (Cypriot) can she use this to travel from UK to Munich then return with no passport. ( she is currently on a work visa for another year as it took so long to get the ID card)

Cheers

Warsaw, Poland
Destination Expert
for Warsaw
6. Re: Travel from UK to Holland with Hellenic Police ID

Is she a Cypriot national? If yes, there there should be no problem using the ID card as a travel document, all EU countries issuing national ID cards are the same in this regard. There may be some restrictions if she's not, because as far as I'm aware some countries issue ID cards also to non nationals, and these may not entitle them to international travel. Probably does not hurt to confirm this with Cypriot authorities to be on the safe side.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cypriot_identity_card

Australia
reviews: 42
7. Re: Travel from UK to Holland with Hellenic Police ID

Thanks Ozzlem for your info - yes we are both now considered dual citizens and it has actually more information on her ID card than her passport ;)

I will give the Cypriot embassy a call

Cheers

UK
reviews: 84
8. Re: Travel from UK to Holland with Hellenic Police ID

I will give the Cypriot embassy a call

-----------

You need to give the airline a call or see if you can determine the answer on their website, it's them who will determine if you can board.

Warsaw, Poland
Destination Expert
for Warsaw
9. Re: Travel from UK to Holland with Hellenic Police ID

I;m not aware of any airline not accepting national ID cards for travel within the EU.

Edited: 2:38 am, October 15, 2013
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 73
10. Re: Travel from UK to Holland with Hellenic Police ID

As far as I am aware all airlines in the EU will accept national ID cards for EU nationals. ID cards are not issued in the UK so probably not the best forum to ask this.

Reply to: Travel from UK to Holland with Hellenic Police ID
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted