We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where can I buy luggage cable ties with serial numbers?

Glasgow, United...
reviews: 91
Where can I buy luggage cable ties with serial numbers?

I live in the UK and have been looking for cable ties/plastic zip ties to use instead of padlocks for our bags. I want numbered ones so that I know no-one has been in my luggage- does anyone know where to buy them from or even a more effective name to search for online? I'm looking for the one use ones that have to be cut off and, preferably, bright ones so I can see my cases easily on the conveyor. I can only find the non-numbered ones. My sister in-law buys them in Oz but I can't find them in the UK - can anyone help?

20 replies to this topic
London, United...
reviews: 22
1. Re: Where can I buy luggage cable ties with serial numbers?

I don't understand the need for numbered tags? If security need to go into your luggage they will and should leave a note? You should not carry anything that is valuable in your hold luggage.

If you want to cable tie it, do so, but more to prevent the bag splitting open rather than anything else.

If someone has been in your bag and taken something you will know, as something will be gone. The fact the tags have changed is irrelevant,,,a pic of your bag tied with a numbered tie, that could have been taken weeks before your travel will not help any insurance claim,,,,you could have faked it.

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 13
2. Re: Where can I buy luggage cable ties with serial numbers?

These might meet your need although I think it's unnecessary

http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/numbered-cable-ties

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
reviews: 77
3. Re: Where can I buy luggage cable ties with serial numbers?

Use a normal zip tie and a marker pen.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
reviews: 37
4. Re: Where can I buy luggage cable ties with serial numbers?

It looks like ebay might be a possibility:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/numbered-cable-ties

http://www.universeal.co.uk

www.tonesties.co.uk/printed-cable-ties.aspx

I can see how tying your bags this way would give you some certainty when you got your bags at the carousel end. Wouldn't stop anyone going in, but any reties that were done would be noticeable to you.

Edited: 2:53 pm, October 13, 2013
UK
reviews: 77
5. Re: Where can I buy luggage cable ties with serial numbers?

Probably worrying about the "drug smugglers put stuff in my bag" myth.

Poulton-le-Fylde, UK
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
reviews: 61
6. Re: Where can I buy luggage cable ties with serial numbers?

You can break into any nylon zippered case and close it undetected - see m.youtube.com/watch…

Adelaide, Australia
reviews: 29
7. Re: Where can I buy luggage cable ties with serial numbers?

I don't know about the UK - but here in Australia we can buy them at shops that sell travel goods.

Glasgow, United...
reviews: 91
8. Re: Where can I buy luggage cable ties with serial numbers?

Thanks TomC97 & MuftiMixandmatch ... Great help...that's them ordered :)

9. Re: Where can I buy luggage cable ties with serial numbers?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 3:35 pm, December 21, 2013

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 7
10. Re: Where can I buy luggage cable ties with serial numbers?

>>I don't know about the UK - but here in Australia we can buy them at shops that sell travel goods.<<

True Nozzie and an added bonus is they have a pull tab on the side so you can remove them without the need for scissors. Plus, they're light and no need for keys. Not overly expensive either - about $15 for 20.

Reply to: Where can I buy luggage cable ties with serial numbers?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted