We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A flight question (connecting flights)?

Ayr, United Kingdom
reviews: 62
A flight question (connecting flights)?

Hi, I'm from the UK and have previously only travelled direct from Glasgow to Newark (and vice-versa). In a few months I'm participating in a tour of America. I fly into Newark then the rest is on a bus. My final destination is San Francisco. On the way back to the UK I have to fly San Fran to Newark then Newark to Glasgow. I only have just over an hour to get on my connecting flight to Glasgow. What I'm wondering is how check in works? Do I only need to check my luggage in at San Francisco? or do I need to collect in at Newark and then book it in again?

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 23
1. Re: A flight question (connecting flights)?

Assuming you're on a single ticket you should get both boarding passes when you check in at SFO and your luggage should be checked to Glasgow, you wont see it again until you collect it at Glasgow - 1 hour should be ok as long as your first flight from SFO is on time, all you need to do is get to your departure gate when you arrive in Newark.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
2. Re: A flight question (connecting flights)?

Akita,

For your return flights (assuming they are both on the same ticket, which it sounds like they are) you would check in at San Francisco for both flights, and your luggage will be checked all the way through to Glasgow. At Newark, it's highly likely (almost certain) that you will arrive and depart from concourse C. So all you will need to do is get off your inbound plane, look for the gate for your Glasgow flight and walk to it. That could be a 10 minute walk or a 2 minute walk.

One hour is tight but perfectly doable with an on time arrival, but no dawdling. If you missed the connection, United will rebook you onto the next flight with available seats, including re-routing you if necessary (say on a flight to Heathrow and a connection from there to Glasgow).

Good luck.

Loughborough...
reviews: 19
3. Re: A flight question (connecting flights)?

Assuming you're travelling on one ticket for the San Francisco to Glasgow journey, you check in at San Francisco, receive the boarding passes for both flights, and don't see your baggage again until Glasgow.

At Newark you need to check the gate number for your onward flight (it may be on the boarding pass but things can change over the time you're crossing the USA). If it is in the same terminal you're in, just go there, otherwise follow the signs for the transfer to whichever terminal you need - don't come out through baggage reclaim or you'll need to go through security again.

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 33
4. Re: A flight question (connecting flights)?

While 1 hour does meet the minimum connection time, I would try to allow for longer than that. At one hour there is virtually no buffer for any delays such as weather or air traffic, plus the normal airport issues.

Naturally am assuming this is all on one ticket

Edited: 4:33 pm, October 12, 2013
Ayr, United Kingdom
5. Re: A flight question (connecting flights)?

Thanks for the help! This may be a stupid question, AndyW33, when you say about going out through the baggage reclaim area, is there a sign I should look for guiding me somewhere else? I've only flown once before and that was direct, so this connecting flight issue is all new to me. Again, thanks for all the answers :)

Loughborough...
reviews: 19
6. Re: A flight question (connecting flights)?

If USBusinessTraveller is right (which I'd expect) and both flights use Newark Terminal C then you don't need to bother, just look on the screens for the gate number of the Edinburgh flight.and walk directly to that gate.

It's only if you arrive at one terminal and depart from another that you need to be a little careful. There are 3 terminals, A, B, and C, nearly all United departures, plus domestic arrivals use C. Should you need to change terminals you need the Transfer Shuttle, a bus which takes you between terminals within the secure area so no need to go through security again.

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 23
7. Re: A flight question (connecting flights)?

I think it's almost 100% certain that you flights will arrive/depart from Terminal C meaning you just get off the plane and walk to the next gate (every flight arrival from SFO and departure to Glasgow over the last couple of days that I checked was Terminal C) but if for some reason you need to change terminals see attached link for details of the transfer shuttle locations.

https:/…ewr.aspx

Ayr, United Kingdom
8. Re: A flight question (connecting flights)?

Thanks again for the help. My mind has been put at rest a bit :)

Ayr, United Kingdom
9. Re: A flight question (connecting flights)?

I've thought of a couple more questions, hope you don't mind!

I assume that I should be at San Fran airport 3 hours before take off time for check in?

When I get to Newark (from SF) will I need to go through any security?

If my Newark flight to Glasgow is scheduled for 7.40pm take off, what time will they start boarding people on the flight? (the flight I was on before was delayed for almost 4 hours so I'm not sure how early boarding begins) when do they usually "close the gate"?

Thanks again, and hopefully that's all my questions now :)

London
reviews: 35
10. Re: A flight question (connecting flights)?

>>> I assume that I should be at San Fran airport 3 hours before take off time for check in? <<<

Yes.

>>> When I get to Newark (from SF) will I need to go through any security? <<<

No - you won't be going landside.

>>> If my Newark flight to Glasgow is scheduled for 7.40pm take off, what time will they start boarding people on the flight? (the flight I was on before was delayed for almost 4 hours so I'm not sure how early boarding begins) when do they usually "close the gate"? <<<

If you only have an hour, get to the gate as soon as you can. By all means stop and have a wee and grab a bottle of water if you want, but you don't have time for much else.