We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Never travelling economy again

australia
reviews: 47
Never travelling economy again

Does anyone else feel that economy is becoming even more "tight" for space or have I just grown less tolerant with age? Last week we flew Jetconnect (NZ branch of QANTAS) Sydney to Wellington and, although the crew were fabulous, the seats were appallingly narrow. The aisle was so narrow the flight attendant's bodies were whacking those of us in the aisle seats every time they went past. When I went to the toilet I had to wait 20 mins until the aisle was clear to return to my seat. During this time I was chatting to the lovely crew and they said it was awful, working on these planes. The shoulder room was the worst; impossible to eat your dinner without cramping your arms and doing contortions.

Next year we are flying VA PE to the UK. I only hope this is better. It should be for the extra money we are paying. I am not a spoilt princess...but the current situation is inhuman and I'd rather not fly than suffer like this. I work hard for my money and never waste it but I feel we have no choice if we want a reasonable flight (after all, 23hours is a long time).

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 24
1. Re: Never travelling economy again

Can't comment on whether it's got worse - I personally made the decision several years ago not to fly economy as I valued my comfort and was willing to pay the cost of Premium Economy or Business Class.

Don't expect a great deal from P/E - in my experience the seats and in flight service are similar to Economy in most cases although you should get a few extra inches of legroom.

Fredericia, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Bentota, Beruwala, Sri Lanka
reviews: 7
2. Re: Never travelling economy again

It also depends on aircraft type.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
reviews: 71
3. Re: Never travelling economy again

It also depends on whether the airline is Full Service or a LCC although some LCCs are more generous in Economy than some Full Service airlines.

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 788
4. Re: Never travelling economy again

I do think it depends on the aircraft,I am not a big guy and never really have a problem on most planes but a few years ago on a Monarch airways flight to Chania and return i really did find it a very tight space. i have done mid haul and longer haul on BA flights and have found their economy seats plenty big enough for me.

London
reviews: 21
5. Re: Never travelling economy again

Never travelling economy again <<<<

Nobody would disagree with that but end of day it comes down to finance. I fly frequently for leisure, although not frequently enough with same airline to accrue enough airline points for upgrades.

Everytime I am tempted to buy upgrade tend to think of extra holidays that money will buy.

Berkshire, England
reviews: 61
6. Re: Never travelling economy again

I think you will find PE on VA a lot better than your recent experience. The seats are wider and they recline more and although I am rarely able to sleep on planes, I have managed a few hours when sitting in PE.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth
reviews: 29
7. Re: Never travelling economy again

I prefer comfort so for anything over 3 hours - I just save up more cash and pay for business class.

Why be uncomfortable and tired and grumpy when one can arrive relaxed and well rested and happy. Much nicer way to start a holiday.

australia
reviews: 47
8. Re: Never travelling economy again

If I could manage even just a few hours sleep that would be great! My husband can sleep anywhere and cannot see why I want to go premium economy. Oh, how I envy him... even on our recent flights , wedged as he was into the seat (he's v. large) he fell asleep for most of the flight.

newcastle upon tyne
reviews: 99
9. Re: Never travelling economy again

As the average human body has got bigger, I doubt that the size of aircraft seats has matched that change.

On the Emirates 777, they have gone for an extra seat in economy rows, 3-4-3, instead of what appears to be the usual 9 seats in a row on many other airlines. The aisles are very narrow, & you do have to move inwards or get knocked on the shoulder, everytime somebody comes past.

Like most people, economy is expensive enough for me

Edited: 7:20 am, October 12, 2013
Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 75
10. Re: Never travelling economy again

Also airlines have cut back on flights and flights are mostly full now. Used to be lots of empty seats on planes. Not so much now.

Edited: 7:49 am, October 12, 2013