We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best airline to fly from NYC to Rome

Stamford...
reviews: 2
Best airline to fly from NYC to Rome

Planning a family trip to Italy for next year and need to book flights out of the NYC area, most likely JFK to FCO. Can you recommend an airline you have flown this route on before? Must be non stop. Looks like options are Alitalia, American Airlines, Delta, and United (but out of Newark). Hoping to book with an airline that offers an upgraded coach/economy option, since we can not afford business/first class. Thanks in advance!

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 33
1. Re: Best airline to fly from NYC to Rome

Forget Alitalia is my first thought.

Houston, Texas
reviews: 315
2. Re: Best airline to fly from NYC to Rome

Delta for sure. I never heard of Alitalia.

Stamford...
3. Re: Best airline to fly from NYC to Rome

Thanks for the replies. During my research I read many terrible things about Alitalia and also that they are close to becoming bankrupt so that's a definite no.

Delta is a possibly direct from JFK.

A friend recommends British Airways which looks promising but we would have to connect in LHR (Heathrow) so I'm not sure if that is worth it. BA looks to have good reviews and newer planes and if we fly out of Newark instead of JFK it will be on a Boeing Dreamliner 787 which is brand new and looks very nice, so may just be worth it!

Any more thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated. This will be my first trip overseas so not sure what to expect!

Nashville, TN
reviews: 8
4. Re: Best airline to fly from NYC to Rome

Be careful booking a Delta flight. Just did a quick check for a November date (12th) and both non-stops to FCO were code shares operated by Alitalia.

Stamford...
5. Re: Best airline to fly from NYC to Rome

Yes thank you! I noticed only one flight a day for the time period I'm looking at is operated by Delta and not Alitalia!

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
reviews: 181
6. Re: Best airline to fly from NYC to Rome

I believe UA flies a 767-400ER on this route from EWR. It does have E+ and 2-3-2 configuration. I'd recommend it if it fits your budget.

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for St Barthelemy
reviews: 338
7. Re: Best airline to fly from NYC to Rome

Personally, I think the quality of service on Alitalia has improved tremendously from the days in the 1990s when their newly appointed CEO admitted he would never think of flying them before taking the job !

However, the risk is that in a few days time they might not be flying anymore.......

Economy in the US carrier options will all be much of muchness so I would suggest take the one with the best price or schedule. Unfortunately I don't know if AA or Delta offer Economy plus on this route

Romford, United...
reviews: 22
8. Re: Best airline to fly from NYC to Rome

The immediate problem of Alitalia's financial stability would appear to have been solved but the OP hasn't stated when next year they intend to fly-Alitalia are haemorrhaging money hand over fist and assuming the bleeding doesn't get any worse they should have enough for another 6-9 months

Limerick, Ireland
9. Re: Best airline to fly from NYC to Rome

Consider Aerlingus JFK to FCO via Dublin

depart 5.30 PM arrive 1105 AM next day

layover in Dublin less than 2 hours

Youtube " U S Customs at dublin airport "

On your return flight to JFK you'll arrive as a domestic

passenger.

enjoy.

Edited: 9:16 am, October 12, 2013
White Plains, New...
reviews: 76
10. Re: Best airline to fly from NYC to Rome

Your options are limited for non-stop service. Until Alitalia gets it's finances in order, if it ever will, forget about them. That leaves only Delta flying non-stop from JFK and United from Newark. American is dropping it's JFK non-stop to Rome completely when it ends it's seasonal service later this month. I have flown in Delta economy comfort to Milan and the additional leg room was welcome, especially on an over night flight. I have also flown from Newark on a former Continental flight just prior to their merger with United, so they didn't offer E+ seats yet. I have flown in UA E+ seats to other destinations and found it comparable to Delta economy comfort. Honestly, I don't think you would notice major differences in service levels between the two. So I would base my decision on the best price and schedule between the two. Be very careful if booking Delta as they code share with Alitalia from JFK. Make sure you're looking at true Delta operated flights. I would also recommend booking the E+ or economy comfort seats as I found them to offer a bit more comfort on long haul flights. If you're not an elite frequent flyer with either airline, then you have to consider whether it's worth the price to purchase them.