We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Flight Plan, BNE to LAX and beyond?

Cooroy, Australia
reviews: 55
Best Flight Plan, BNE to LAX and beyond?

Hi,

I am planning a trip to USA in Aug/ Sept next yr. 2 adults 2 children 8/6.

I am planning on flying from Brisbane Australia to LA and spending a week in San Diego and Disneyland. I then plan on flying to the East Coast wanting to visit New York and Disneyworld in Orlando .

I am wanting to do this the cheapest way possible. I have had a look at prices of flights for other times but am wondering if anyone could give me an idea of what the internal flights may cost for that time. I plan on flying over to the East Coast on Monday 1 Sept .

I am concerned about baggage allowance with the different internal airlines. I am planning on flying with Virgin Australia and their baggage allowance is 2 23 kg pp not that I will be arriving with that but may leave lol.

Thanks in advance.

10 replies to this topic
Charlotte, North...
reviews: 34
1. Re: Best Flight Plan, BNE to LAX and beyond?

Most, but not all, domestic airlines will charge for checked bags. If it is all on one itinerary, you may avoid the domestic bag fees (I think). The question then becomes which is cheaper, buying all of your flights on one itinerary or buying seperate domestic flights. As far as what those fares will be, most airlines will be publishing fares for next September in the near future.

Searching orbitz for August (most of September is not listed yet) reveals itineraries of less than 600 USD. Assuming all passengers have 1 checked bag, that should still come out under 700 USD per passenger, the cheapest closer to 600 USD. Your cost for your dates may vary alot, or hopefully not.

That is August not September, and strikes me as a very good fare. The cheapest flights were on United. When it comes time to buy your tickets, compare the cost of buying it all on one itinerary versus the cost of seperate international and domestic itineraries.

Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province, Outdoors / Adventure Travel
reviews: 1
2. Re: Best Flight Plan, BNE to LAX and beyond?

Keep in mind that 1 Sep 2014 is Labor Day and the Labor Day weekend (Sat, Sun & Mon) is a very busy travel period in the states. You might do well to sit tight over the weekend and plan your New York jump for Tuesday or Wednesday. And yes Disneyland and other tourist stops in southern California will be packed over Labor Day weekend

Cooroy, Australia
3. Re: Best Flight Plan, BNE to LAX and beyond?

Thank you both for your replys :)

Mackay, Australia
reviews: 13
4. Re: Best Flight Plan, BNE to LAX and beyond?

Hi We did the exact same trip from Brisbane with 2 kids (8 and 11) in Oct 2011!! Here are my flight prices

Burbank (cheaper than LAX) Flight 350 JetBlue

to JFK - $198.90 each

JetBlue Flight 389

out of LA Guardia Airport (cheaper than JFK) to Orlando $110 each

We hired a 7 seater car to drive from LA to San Deigo for $200 for 4 days from Budget on Hot Wire.com.

Happy to give you more info. It was our trip of a lifetime and the kids are still talking about it

Townsville...
reviews: 16
5. Re: Best Flight Plan, BNE to LAX and beyond?

Southwest Airlines are good for cheap internal flights too. They include 1 x23kg bag pp in their airfares.

Cooroy, Australia
6. Re: Best Flight Plan, BNE to LAX and beyond?

Hello again. I have received a quote for the following. $1750 pp

Bris to LAX aug 24 virgin

LAX to JFK Sep 1 virgin

JFK to Orlando ( united $160 pp ) 5 Sep

Orlando to Brisbane Sept 10

I am still not sure if I can get better domestic?

Adelaide, Australia
reviews: 32
7. Re: Best Flight Plan, BNE to LAX and beyond?

Sounds like a great price to me and just to reiterate if you do buy seperate tickets most US based airlines will charge you more for luggage and the limit is usually 20-25kgs.

Cooroy, Australia
8. Re: Best Flight Plan, BNE to LAX and beyond?

The agent will book all besides the NYC to Orlando flights on an international ticked so I would only be up for baggage on that 1 flight. argh what to do lol :)

Down Under
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
9. Re: Best Flight Plan, BNE to LAX and beyond?

So you have no extra baggage charges with that quote ?

Down Under
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
10. Re: Best Flight Plan, BNE to LAX and beyond?

Our posts crossed____I think that is not a bad deal.

I'm guessing that using Southwest it would come in at around the same including all baggage but of course you can't confirm that just yet as they don't book that far out.

Reply to: Best Flight Plan, BNE to LAX and beyond?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted