We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BA Flight 275 September 11 2013 to Las Vegas

5 posts
BA Flight 275 September 11 2013 to Las Vegas

Would like to hear from anyone who travelled on the above delayed flight to Las Vegas to find out what compensation apart from hotel accommodation/meals they have been offered bearing in mind EC Regulation 261/2004. I feel offering me avios points is fobbing me off bearing in mind that the delay resulted in an overnight stay in Canada. By saying that the technical fault was classed as 'unexpected flight safety shortcoming' are BA citing exceptional circumstances? Would be interested in views of anyone who has experienced BA flight delays.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
14,916 posts
24 reviews
1. Re: BA Flight 275 September 11 2013 to Las Vegas

"By saying that the technical fault was classed as 'unexpected flight safety shortcoming' are BA citing exceptional circumstances?"

From your OP it sounds like you departed from Las Vegas but had to land in Canada because of an in flight issue - without details of what occurred during the flight leading to the diversion/landing in Canada it's impossible to offer an opinion on whether what BA are considering as exceptional circumstances is valid or not.

I would add that BA have been reasonably good in paying out compensation where appropriate compared to lots of other UK airlines.

Edinburgh, United...
8 posts
2. Re: BA Flight 275 September 11 2013 to Las Vegas

Seems like a technical issue. Why else would they divert and land?

And technical issues don't come under 'exceptional circumstances'. It's up to BA to keep their maintence programme in order.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
5,107 posts
8 reviews
3. Re: BA Flight 275 September 11 2013 to Las Vegas

""By saying that the technical fault was classed as 'unexpected flight safety shortcoming' are BA citing exceptional circumstances?""

Your choice, you accept the delay or you crash. Quit whining, you made it safely. People are always on here looking for the cheapest fares, then want compensation for every little thing that happens. Who do you think pays for that?

Edinburgh, United...
8 posts
4. Re: BA Flight 275 September 11 2013 to Las Vegas

BA made an operating profit in 2011 of around $750 (£500) million dollars.

I'm sure they can more than cope with a good maintenace programme, and paying out the odd compensation when passengers are disrupted this way.

If your delayed a day, i'm sure the last thing you'll worry about is the profits of BA.

5. Re: BA Flight 275 September 11 2013 to Las Vegas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 4:35 pm, October 17, 2013
Leyland, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
27,172 posts
51 reviews
6. Re: BA Flight 275 September 11 2013 to Las Vegas

The latest CAA guidelines which were agreed with other European regulators, don't exclude all technical problems from being extraordinary (not exceptional) circumstances.

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
8,882 posts
42 reviews
7. Re: BA Flight 275 September 11 2013 to Las Vegas

"BA made an operating profit in 2011 of around $750 (£500) million dollars"

True and a new A330-300 costs 222.5 million dollars. Making a profit is actually a good thing, it allows them to buy new planes now and then and pay investors.

Guess the OP needs to pin down BA on what exactly 'unexpected flight safety shortcoming' were. Maybe headwinds caused them to use more fuel? Hard to guess.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
8,592 posts
49 reviews
8. Re: BA Flight 275 September 11 2013 to Las Vegas

BA made an operating profit in 2011 of around $750 (£500) million dollars.

I'm sure they can more than cope with a good maintenace programme, and paying out the odd compensation when passengers are disrupted this way.

If your (sic) delayed a day, i'm sure the last thing you'll worry about is the profits of BA.

...and since you want to bring profits into it why not post something more current?

theguardian.com/business/2013/feb/28/iag-rep…

Always helps to know the facts (and spelling) first....

5 posts
9. Re: BA Flight 275 September 11 2013 to Las Vegas

Unfortunately the flight was originally diverted because a passenger was taken ill. Obviously I completely understand why the plane had to be diverted and land as quickly as possible However once we had landed the technical fault was discovered during routine checks. I hope this makes the situation clearer

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
22,573 posts
6 reviews
10. Re: BA Flight 275 September 11 2013 to Las Vegas

It appears the flight was diverted to Winnipeg (YWG) because of a medical emergency.

cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/british-airways-…

Edited: 2:44 pm, October 09, 2013