We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alialia

Romford, United...
reviews: 22
Alialia

Looks like Alitalia's financial problems are coming to a head as their fuel supplier ENI is threatening to stop deliveries as from Saturday October 13,2013 unless they can be convinced that they are a viable operation, now I don't believe for one moment that they will ground the whole fleet but I'm pretty certain that partner investors will use this as an excuse to "restructure" the company even further and effect the services currently on offer

Edited: 8:24 am, October 09, 2013
tucson, az
reviews: 6
1. Re: Alialia

I'm now imagining the crew going down the aisle passing the hat for money for fuel.

Romford, United...
2. Re: Alialia

That's what was running through my mind as well, fifteen years ago I would've thought national airlines bullet proof but after Sabena/Swissair collapses and the EU regulations on governments giving back door support (subsidies) to airlines, now I'm not so sure. AirFrance/KLM want to take it over but don't want to assume the historical debt so the next few days are going to be interesting to say the least

Edited: 9:57 am, October 09, 2013
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
reviews: 58
3. Re: Alialia

It may not be such a stretch of the imagination kitap.

Back in the day, they used to walk down the aisle with a little basket, giving out fruit lollies as refreshments on their internal flights.

Such a shame a country as proud as Italy, having national airline in such shambles.

Romford, United...
4. Re: Alialia

It's definitely a national icon like Ferrari but with the country's finances being in such a shambles I'm wondering if there is the " political will" to bail it out AGAIN!!! they lost over euros 250million in the first 6 months so where are they going to get the money to fund the bills???

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
reviews: 58
5. Re: Alialia

I agree, it is a national icon indeed. And it's currently like paying bills for a family member who is bad with finances - it's hard to say no. I honestly felt happy for them after their last bailout, but each time 'Alitalia' cropped up in the news, even without reading about it, I knew it had to be bad.

They need a complete overhaul, like hotels do, shut it down, change everyone from the top down and relaunch. Yes, easier said than done, but the alternative is for them to lose a national carrier, and that would hit them hard.

Palmetto, Florida
reviews: 10
6. Re: Alialia

>>I don't believe for one moment that they will ground the whole fleet <<

Are you calling them Aliarliar?

Romford, United...
7. Re: Alialia

6# Good one!!!

Romford, United...
8. Re: Alialia

Alitalia were meant to hold a boarding meeting today at 5pm but for unknown reasons are now holding it tomorrow afternoon (that's sailing close to the wind) ,rumour has it that they have to raise at least euros 150million by then to convince the fuel supplier they are able to function but need a cash injection of at least euros 500million to remain viable, so far there are no takers from the banks/AF/KLM and have even asked the Italian state postal service to step in and the Italian aviation authority is now very close to yanking the operators license.

I hope for consumer choice, passengers and Italian pride they pull through but....????

London, United...
reviews: 23
9. Re: Alialia

I dont really understand why they need to raise the money to prove anything to eni or who is saying that?

The only realistic thing I can think of is they owe that money to eni already and eni has stopped credit and will supply no more fuel until the debt is paid, or they are on prepayment and cannot afford to pay for the fuel they need, and those funds are simply to buy the fuel they need to keep operating.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
10. Re: Alialia

Latest from Reuters ...

reuters.com/article/2013/10/10/alitalia-idUS…

"I'm now imagining the crew going down the aisle passing the hat for money for fuel."

That's happened before with other airlines - bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-15762127

Edited: 2:24 pm, October 10, 2013