We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Connecting through Portland

Norfolk England
reviews: 75
Connecting through Portland

Hi

I have seen a flight for my holiday next year with KLM which connects through Portland. I do not know anything about this airport and the flight gives 2 hours change over. Too short on an international? I would usually look for longer.

Clive

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 24
1. Re: Connecting through Portland

Portland, Maine or Portland, Oregon ?

I wasn't aware that KLM flew direct to either of these airports - do you have a connection elsewhere in the US.

Norfolk England
2. Re: Connecting through Portland

Hi

It's Portland Oregon. That's flying from our local NWI via AMS with final destination of SLC

Clive

Liverpool, UK
3. Re: Connecting through Portland

Whilst I would normally prefer a longer connection window I doubt that Portland is as busy as the other major hubs so 2 hours could be ok and worth the risk especially if there are later flights that day to SLC just in case you miss the connection.

kentucky
reviews: 38
4. Re: Connecting through Portland

Sounds like DL 179 (codeshare KL 6009) Similar flight to SEA, if that works better for you. Check the terminal maps. I've only connected once so I'm not much help but two hours sound doable.

Edited: 9:09 am, October 09, 2013
5. Re: Connecting through Portland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 9:14 am, October 09, 2013
Edited: 9:14 am, October 09, 2013
Fortaleza, CE
reviews: 348
6. Re: Connecting through Portland

I think 2 hours would be cutting it tight, even in a smaller airport like PDX. You'd have to go through Immigration, wait for your bags, and then go through Customs (usually just a matter of handing over a form you filled out on board your flight and had initialed in Immigration, though you could get pulled aside for a random check), then hand your checked bags over to a transit desk, then exit the secure area and go through a regular security line to board your domestic flight to SLC (which would be on Delta). You might make it and odds are probably better than if you had just 2 hours at JFK or ATL, but it could still be close.

KLM's Web site shows options to SLC with options in Paris or Los Angeles or Detroit or Minneapolis or New York (JFK) or Seattle or Atlanta. I'd check and try for a longer layover. IF you can't get one, and miss your connection, Delta will try to put you on the next flight with available seats (not necessarily the next seat).

Edited: 9:18 am, October 09, 2013
Fortaleza, CE
7. Re: Connecting through Portland

p.s.assuming you'd be booked on the 13:20 flight from PDX to SLC, looks like the next flight would be 3 hours later, though there are other options, involving a connection (e.g., LAX), throughout the day. If connection times were equal, I'd rather go through PDX than, say, ORD or JFK, especially in the winter.

Edited: 9:26 am, October 09, 2013
Norfolk England
8. Re: Connecting through Portland

Hi

Thanks for your opinions, there are other options for sure but they double and trebble the flight cost! I will give this flight some consideration but maybe wait and see if a better flight comes up. I have lot's of time as I'm not going till next May.

Clive

Fortaleza, CE
9. Re: Connecting through Portland

It's not a horrible connection, just not ideal. Delta or KLM have non-stops to SLC from Paris, in which case you'd go through U.S. immigration and customs just at your last stop.

Edited: 11:24 am, October 09, 2013
Liverpool, UK
10. Re: Connecting through Portland

"I have lot's of time as I'm not going till next May." - Another issue to consider is the possibility/probability of a schedule change to either the KLM international flight or more likely the domestic Portland to SLC flight occurring before travel.

Whenever I've booked flights to the US including a domestic connection it's rare not to have a schedule change - sometimes minutes, others hours.