We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Miami or Atlanta Customs?

Weeki Wachee...
reviews: 16
Miami or Atlanta Customs?

Which is the easier experience, going through customs at the Miami airport or the Atlanta airport?

20 replies to this topic
Liverpool, UK
reviews: 14
1. Re: Miami or Atlanta Customs?

Based on recent posts I'd say Atlanta would be better than MIA although it's more likely that Immigration will be the hold up rather than Customs.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney
reviews: 30
2. Re: Miami or Atlanta Customs?

I've gone through ATL frequently but only once through MIA. My views are a little skewed as ATL for me is used for business, and that one trip through MIA was for leisure.

I don't think going through formalities is that different, and I'm sure both have their good days and bad. If I had to choose, I would do so based on where I'm heading to.

I stress I'm biased to ATL

South of England
reviews: 50
3. Re: Miami or Atlanta Customs?

I've done both and from an international arrival (for me from the UK) - i'd say ATL everytime.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Negril
reviews: 63
4. Re: Miami or Atlanta Customs?

Atlanta has a much better customs in my opinion but I fly out of ATL on a regular basis.

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse
reviews: 65
5. Re: Miami or Atlanta Customs?

I rarely get held up in customs, but immigration is a different story.

I would go ATL every time.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
reviews: 73
6. Re: Miami or Atlanta Customs?

I've only been through Miami once, and it was a disorganized hassle. I've been through Atlanta customs & immigration dozens of times. I find Atlanta very efficient, and would choose it every time, even if I didn't live here.

FWIW on the front page of the Atlanta Forum there's a step-by-step description of the customs & immigration process at ATL. It's wordy but it's a pretty straightforward process.

Dublin, Ireland
reviews: 1
7. Re: Miami or Atlanta Customs?

Definitely agree with Atlanta rather than Miami

Chicago, Illinois...
reviews: 1
8. Re: Miami or Atlanta Customs?

This isn't even close, it's ATL. My wife, daughter and I just went through MIA and it was just awful. We'll no longer buy tickets that bring us through there.

Madrid
reviews: 7
9. Re: Miami or Atlanta Customs?

MIA can be up to 5 hours to clear immigration and customs on its worst day.

ATL would be the more reliable choice.

Somerset, UK
reviews: 224
10. Re: Miami or Atlanta Customs?

Just been through immigration/customs in Miami. It was very bad - a two hour wait (mainly at immigration). It really must put of international tourists from visiting.

Reply to: Miami or Atlanta Customs?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted