We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

International Flights Huge Risk or No (only flight that day)

Houston, Texas
reviews: 327
International Flights Huge Risk or No (only flight that day)

For international Flights it seems many times there may be only one flight from a big city to an international flight/destination elsewhere for that day. If there is some type of mechanical problems than your entire schedule has to be changed because that means you may have to wait till the next day to fly if the airline only has one flight.

Example.

From Houston using Turkish Airways, there is only 1 flight that goes to Istanbul for the day. But that flight is also the same flight that just arrived in Houston 2 hours prior. It seems that could be quite dangerous to fly that long of time with only 2 hours or 1.5 hours to check the plane for any type of mechanical problems. Eventually a schedule like that would not work out well once the plane gets a bit older.

I guess my main question is, do you generally seek airlines that ofter more than one flight to a city you are visiting internationally the same day or do you usually just take the risk and pick whichever one has the schedule you want the price you expect it to be?

Edited: 1:49 pm, October 08, 2013
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
reviews: 182
1. Re: International Flights Huge Risk or No (only flight that day)

Yes, I pick flights which generally have back-up options available, in case something goes wrong.

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
for Mijas, Sitio de Calahonda
reviews: 62
2. Re: International Flights Huge Risk or No (only flight that day)

I wouldn't say it was a huge risk. On shorthaul flights between the UK and Spain for example, turn around is generally less than 30 mins on the low cost airlines and the plane may have already flown UK-Paris-Barcelona-UK or similar mix of flights during the course of the day. The planes are checked over every stop and the Captain does a full walk round of the plane, as well as the ground crew's check, so on a turn round of 2 hrs gives them plenty of time to check things out.

norfolk
reviews: 31
3. Re: International Flights Huge Risk or No (only flight that day)

maintenance checks would not ordinarily be done at the 'foreign' airport during turn around. routine checks will be made when the aircraft is at its own base airport. faults which develop in service are less likely to manifest on the ground than in the air. so i do not regard a two hour turn around as 'dangerous'.

but i do prefer airlines with more than one flight a day [or week in some cases].

Romford, United...
reviews: 22
4. Re: International Flights Huge Risk or No (only flight that day)

I do prefer selecting an airline that has at least one later flight connection on the day or alternatively an airline with only one connecting flight but a long connecting time to allow for any snafu's on the first inward flight and the price is the last (but very important) thing on my mind,

My next trip is LHR-SNA via MSP and should arrive at 18.15hrs but if I miss it, my next flight doesn't arrive until approx. 22.00hrs so I will not be checking into my abode (tired ,hungry and crabby) until nearly midnight so decided to stay over at MSP and get the first flight out the next day arriving thus hopefully arriving alert, fed and relaxed at 11,00hrs

For some reason (best known only to the gods) in this instance it works out cheaper

Edited: 2:19 pm, October 08, 2013
Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
reviews: 49
5. Re: International Flights Huge Risk or No (only flight that day)

"From Houston using Turkish Airways, there is only 1 flight that goes to Istanbul for the day. But that flight is also the same flight that just arrived in Houston 2 hours prior. It seems that could be quite dangerous to fly that long of time with only 2 hours or 1.5 hours to check the plane for any type of mechanical problems. "

How is that any different than a domestic carrier that flies 5-6 legs in a day, taking off and landing multiple times? How much "checking" do you think goes on when an aircraft only has a 45 minute layover before heading up up and away for another flight followed by another 45 minute turn around?

Worthing, United...
reviews: 27
6. Re: International Flights Huge Risk or No (only flight that day)

If what you are really asking is 'Do Turkish fly safe aircraft?' the answer of course is yes. Pilots won't fly unsafe aircraft, it's their own life too.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
reviews: 58
7. Re: International Flights Huge Risk or No (only flight that day)

I'm really not sure what the question is, but I certainly don't factor in safety issues when choosing a flight (I can already see a lateral conversation starting about safety records here). Primary is my route, schedules and prices. Secondary is brand and other collateral considerations.

Edited: 3:21 pm, October 08, 2013
Calgary, Canada
reviews: 44
8. Re: International Flights Huge Risk or No (only flight that day)

AC 850 flies from Calgary to London at about 7pm local time, turns around and flies back to Calgary about 12 hours later (9 hour flight) as AC 851. Its the only daily flight on Air Canada between the two cities. I just get on and hope for the best...isn't that what most people do when travelling by air.

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 77
9. Re: International Flights Huge Risk or No (only flight that day)

It's zero safety risk. From a schedule risk it would be nice if there were hourly flights but there's not. If you want to go to Istanbul from Houston on a direct flight it's a risk you just have to accept. It's the nature of international flights. Not much you can do to change it.

San Diego...
10. Re: International Flights Huge Risk or No (only flight that day)

Most airlines operate their long haul international schedules this way. BA has 1 LHR-DEN, 1 LHR-PHX and 1 LHR-SAN flight each day (when I lived in AZ, there was no BA flight on Wed, so if that the Tue one was affected, the next flight was Thu). The flight would depart LHR, land at the destination and then take off again around 2-3 hrs later to head back to LHR. Yes, there are destinations such as LAX and New York where BA might have 2-3 flights a day, but more often than not, there is just a single flight. Having said that, airlines code share, so if there is an issue with that flight, then they may be able to get you onto a partner flight if there is room.

I've even been booked on a United flight and BOS was hit by a bad snowstorm and United managed to get me onto a BA flight and get out the same day that I was scheduled to fly.

Edited: 5:37 pm, October 08, 2013