We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Icelandair Review

reviews: 6
Icelandair Review

My husband and I just flew return from London Gatwick to Minneapolis, MN, USA via Reykjavik on Icelandair Economy Class, and I wanted to share our experience in case anyone is considering using their airline.

Pro's: Two pieces of checked luggage included in the price of the ticket, good entertainment system on all flights (individual touchscreen tvs with a good selection of movies and tv shows), and cheapest option at time of travel.

Con's: With the cheap price (which wasn't cheap really - still almost $900 per ticket) meant no onboard meals or snacks or drinks. You can still buy food, but the total travel time was over 12 hours so it was pretty sad that we didn't get anything complimentary but a small bottle of water. You have to buy headphones if you didn't bring your own. And they didn't offer blankets or pillows. All of the planes we were on were the 3 seats, aisle, three seats formation, which felt really small to be crossing the Atlantic on. There was a constant line down the only aisle for the bathroom. The ride was really bumpy and miserable both leaving and returning. Both our flights from London and Minneapolis were over an hour late departing. Luckily we didn't miss our connecting flights - the Reykjavik airport is small so it's easy to transfer quickly.

Overall, I was really not impressed with the airline. Two checked bags is great, but the bumpy, late departing flights and lack of any complimentary food or beverage services made for pretty poor show. I suppose all of the airlines will cut back like this eventually, but there are still better options out there.

49 replies to this topic
1. Re: Icelandair Review

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:54 pm, October 14, 2013

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
reviews: 133
2. Re: Icelandair Review

I'm sorry you didn't enjoy your flights. I've flown Icelandair a number of times and have always had a positive experience. I must say, when they did provide onboard meals up to a few years ago, the hot meal was consistently pretty terrible! Completely unidentifiable and tasteless breaded patty thing drowned in a gluey beige sauce, the same thing on two flights, yuck. So, you did not miss out on anything food wise!!

Norfolk England
reviews: 74
3. Re: Icelandair Review

Hi

I have flown with them on short haul LGW to KEF and it was fine. Long haul to the US I usually fly with BA and with them you do get all drinks, dinner and snacks. I think on long flight's you should get somthing included, but does the price reflect this?

Clive

UK
reviews: 85
4. Re: Icelandair Review

<< Con's: With the cheap price (which wasn't cheap really - still almost $900 per ticket) >>

Since you don't say where you live, I'll guess. Is that Hong Kong Dollars?

<<The ride was really bumpy and miserable both leaving and returning.>>

Your fault, had you not been a cheapskate, and instead paid for a proper airline, say United, they have those shock absorbers and big springs fitted on the wings so the plane rides as smooth as a baby.

seattle
reviews: 1
5. Re: Icelandair Review

Your post might have had more creditability if you had given instances of other airlines and planes you have used to travel to Europe from Minneapolis,

Boswell, Indiana
reviews: 40
6. Re: Icelandair Review

I am also considering flying this airline but am very ambivalent. The price is great for Newark to Paris but I am worried about the one hour 5 minute connection if the flight is late or delayed and it looks as though they only have one flight per day out of Iceland to Paris so if we miss the connection, not sure what we would do. Does anyone know their on-time performance record? thanks.

Salisbury, United...
reviews: 62
7. Re: Icelandair Review

Icelandair is a hub and spoke airline based at Keflavik, so quick connections is what it is all about. You will have no problem with a short connection. The airport is small and very efficient. You will clear passport control as you are entering Schengen and customs at Paris.

AFAIK on time is good otherwise their operation wold not work. Only problem could be weather related ot tech problems but this can happen to any airline.

Only used then LHR - KEF and they are good. Be aware they are a LCC and you will need to buy food, headphones etc. One reason they often work out cheaper than legacy airlines.

They will also offer a stopover in Iceland for no extra cost on your ticket. Do it, Iceland is the most amazing country and shouldn't be missed.

Boswell, Indiana
reviews: 40
8. Re: Icelandair Review

This is very helpful information. Thank you so much.

East Windsor, New...
reviews: 15
9. Re: Icelandair Review

My friends and I are considering flying Icelandair on our way to London from Newark in August. Some of the information that has been posted is great, but have gotten mixed reviews. Just a few more questions: We have a long halt in Iceland (almost 10hrs) can we leave the airport and go sight seeing and come back in time for our flight to London? Besides the seats being uncomfortable and buying your own food, were there any other cons?

Langley, Washington
reviews: 7
10. Re: Icelandair Review

Yes, you can, people do it all the time. Get the Flybus (you can book ahead online) into Reykjavik https://www.re.is/flybus It takes about 45 minutes, then take the local bus or walk up into the city from the bus terminal. It's fantastic! Or, if you don't want to venture that far you can use the same company to visit the Blue Lagoon. Or both. I even met a young lady from Boston who managed a tour of the Golden Circle during her layover- but I'm not that brave or energetic!

Enjoy your stopover! Oh, and bring your own food- the food for purchase onboard is awful (at least it was in 2011, last time I was lucky enough to go)

Reply to: Icelandair Review
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted