We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When to arrive at London Heathrow for flight to Helsinki?

Sydney, New South...
reviews: 11
When to arrive at London Heathrow for flight to Helsinki?

Hi, I am flying with Finnair from London Heathrow to Helsinki, departing at 10:20am on Saturday Dec 7th 2013. I was wondering how much time do I need to go through baggage drop off, immigration, customs etc.? I think UK is an EU non-Schegen country whilst Finland is an EU and Schegen country. I am an Australian citizen. UK will be the first European country I stay in, followed by Finland, Germany, Italy, UK again, France and Greece. I will be travelling by National Express coach from Nottingham to Heathrow T3, either arriving 7:10am or 9am.

Thanks!

3 replies to this topic
Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for St Barthelemy
reviews: 239
1. Re: When to arrive at London Heathrow for flight to Helsinki?

I recommend you take the bus arriving at 7.10am. The later one is leaving too much to chance and increases the risk of you missing your flight eg traffic/accidents etc on the motorway, queues to check in and to get through security etc. T3 can be horrendous for getting through security if you are not entitled to the fast-track lanes.

UK is a non-Schengen country but there are not usually passport control checks when leaving Heathrow

Hitchin, United...
reviews: 34
2. Re: When to arrive at London Heathrow for flight to Helsinki?

Rule of thumb is to aim to check in 2 hours before a short haul flight (your airline usually tells you this when buying the ticket). National Express tell you on your ticket to allow 3 hours before all flights as coaches are frequently late due to traffic, I use them a lot to connect between airports and they're very rarely on time. Get the earlier one.

Sydney, New South...
reviews: 11
3. Re: When to arrive at London Heathrow for flight to Helsinki?

Thanks a lot fatbear2000 and CanucksTraveller72!

Reply to: When to arrive at London Heathrow for flight to Helsinki?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted