We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety measures during landing/ take off

Scotland
reviews: 8
Safety measures during landing/ take off

Hi all. I was looking for information about landing/ take off procedures. Is there a legal requirement or is it guidelines to say seats, tables etc should be upright?

The reason why I ask is that I'm just back from an emirates flight and cabin crew clearly witnessed the lady in front of me reclined during take off and landing but she was not asked to put her seat up. I didn't have any issue during the flight with this. This is not a seat reclining bashing topic but I seriously don't think I would have been able to brace effectively nevermind get out quick if there was an emergency. I was tempted to call for the FA but then I thought I was maybe being a little OTT and maybe it was only guidelines. Can anyone explain what is the position here and would you ever make a request for them to comply?

Thanks all!

Avoca, Australia
Destination Expert
for Rusutsu-mura
reviews: 9
1. Re: Safety measures during landing/ take off

Seems to be Airlines' policy only. May be hard to enforce once crew are in their seats.

Edited: 6:25 pm, October 07, 2013
Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
reviews: 53
2. Re: Safety measures during landing/ take off

If I was sitting behind that lady I would have said something myself ... after the crew sit down I think I'm kind of responsible for my own safety and would be concerned if the landing was rough.

Never be backwards when it comes to safety on aircraft ... speak up.

Scotland
3. Re: Safety measures during landing/ take off

I don't have an issue with people reclining but normally they are made to put them up during take off and landing. When cabin crew came to check seatbelts no mention was made of the reclined seat. I just wondered if it was only guidelines. This wasn't a sneaky recline once cabin crew sit down.

Scotland
4. Re: Safety measures during landing/ take off

I was worried I would seem ott by speaking out. Seems silly now

Avoca, Australia
Destination Expert
for Rusutsu-mura
reviews: 9
5. Re: Safety measures during landing/ take off

You can send feedback here:

emirates.com/english/…email-us.aspx

Click on “feedback” and then choose “complaint”.

Edited: 11:17 pm, October 07, 2013
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
reviews: 77
6. Re: Safety measures during landing/ take off

Normally, seats should not be reclined during take-off and landing in order to provide as much space as possible for passengers to get out in cases of emergency. I am sure it was just an oversight on the part of the FA's or somebody who wasn't trained properly.

newcastle upon tyne
reviews: 121
7. Re: Safety measures during landing/ take off

Emirates staff are normally very quick to tell people to put their seat up before landing, so I'm surprised a staff member apparently clearly saw this & didn't say anything.

MERSEYSIDE
reviews: 60
8. Re: Safety measures during landing/ take off

If the general announcement was made but the FA missed the recline, I would have had no problems saying something to the recliner.

London, United...
reviews: 23
9. Re: Safety measures during landing/ take off

She probably just missed it. Sometimes it can appear someone is looking at something and doing their job correctly, when actually their mind is a million miles away and they are going through the motions, even if only for a split second.

We have all done it,,,you know that moment when your spouse is talking to you and you are looking at them and nodding along, looking thoroughly engaged in the conversation,,,when in reality you are totally thinking about something else and have absolutely no clue what they are saying....? :-))

10. Re: Safety measures during landing/ take off

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, October 10, 2014