We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Baggage Damage on AA - they just don't care

Portsmouth, United...
reviews: 125
Baggage Damage on AA - they just don't care

Just arrived into ATL from ORD and DTW on an American Eagle flight. Bags were actually waiting for me outside the AA handling office in the baggage hall . Reason was AA baggage handling had managed to rip the wheels off along with the rollaway handle of a $1000 Briggs & Riley bag designed for tough airline use. AA had done what no other airline had managed in 3 years of use on global trips and that is inflict so much damage to a single bag! Even the airline baggage agents said they had never seen such danage and they would of course replace the bag! Great, only the claim takes 3 days to process and they will only authorise replacement in my home country (UK) ! And what am I supposed to do in the meantime with a destroyed bag and 4 days of my trip left! "We sympathize" is all AA are saying! Some help that is! Has anyone else had similar "support" from AA?

Madeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Funchal, Madeira, Madeira Islands
reviews: 34
1. Re: Baggage Damage on AA - they just don't care

you have posted the same question twice, suggest you delete one

2. Re: Baggage Damage on AA - they just don't care

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11:35 am, October 07, 2013
Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
reviews: 74
3. Re: Baggage Damage on AA - they just don't care

Ho,

That's actually not an uncommon thing to hear - for a carrier to resolve your claim after your travel concludes. not while enroute ... Sounds odd, but they are waiting for your trip to close out so that it can be processed by either baggage service or accounts payable..

Aside from that, and the damage not withstadning, it sounds like AA has done well in terms of acknowledging the damage to your bag and put forth a reasonable timeline (and I also assume) process to get the settlement going once you get home..

You might ask AA local if they have "loaner" bags you can use until you get home.. Some airlines have bags that they can literally loan you until you get home.. Usualy only larger stations, but worth asking about.

Travel Safe,

4. Re: Baggage Damage on AA - they just don't care

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12:35 pm, October 07, 2013
Chester, United...
Destination Expert
for Cheshire
5. Re: Baggage Damage on AA - they just don't care

Briggs and Reilly have a lifetime guarantee on their bags. Even if it's airline damage, they will repair or replace free. Why not go direct to them.

Nomad - snap! Hope we're not both deleted. It's meant as genuine advice.

Edited: 11:55 am, October 07, 2013
London, United...
reviews: 508
6. Re: Baggage Damage on AA - they just don't care

CheshireCat - let's see if our comments remain here. it is not self-promotion or advertising at all. Someone does not like the genuine advise, maybe.

Portsmouth, United...
7. Re: Baggage Damage on AA - they just don't care

HI, good advice. AA did mention to me 'this morning' they could loan me a case to get home with. Only issue really is that I went out this morning and got a cheapo case from Walmart to put the damaged bag into...bag in bag so to speak! Lets see what happens next!

Bet they'll want to repair it ..so that will mean 3 - 4 weeks with no bag..ah well that's travel for you!

Cheers

Dave

Portsmouth, United...
8. Re: Baggage Damage on AA - they just don't care

Thanks both, good advice and a real benefit of having a B&R..only problem is its my most used bag! Ah well that's travel for you.

Your comments are not advertising, just good advice so many thanks. Have just bought a cheapo bag to put the B&R into so I can get it home as the irony would be that AA wouldn't accept it for travel as its damaged...is that a catch 22??

Dave

Chicago
reviews: 1
9. Re: Baggage Damage on AA - they just don't care

Nomad I read your post twice before realizing that you weren't posting as a company rep of some sort. Perhaps others were more trigger-happy.

London, United...
reviews: 508
10. Re: Baggage Damage on AA - they just don't care

Warriorjan - you are right about it. I am nothing to do with travel related industry. If something, I am just an occasional traveler.

TA again deleted my post!!!!

Edited: 12:42 pm, October 07, 2013