We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any tips/advice for flying with a newborn baby?

Falls Church...
reviews: 26
Any tips/advice for flying with a newborn baby?

My wife and I are adopting a newborn baby and will need to take a 3 hour flight to bring him home. We have never done anything remotely like this so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

UK
reviews: 87
1. Re: Any tips/advice for flying with a newborn baby?

Congratulations !!

Obviously you'll have formula, but make sure you have something for the baby to suck on continuously because air pressure changes in the ears, (which can be eased by sucking), are the main problem with infants on planes.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney
reviews: 36
2. Re: Any tips/advice for flying with a newborn baby?

Great advice from Joe.

My brother flew with a newborn and was saying how important the wrap around was firm to minimise movement, and something to lay lightly over the baby's head to reduce exposure to undue amounts of dry air and noise.

I was also told that if the baby gets distressed, accessibility for the baby's face to the mothers skin was helpful to settle them - but I'm no expert on that, so maybe the others can advise on how accurate that is.

And yes, absolutely congrats!

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
reviews: 52
3. Re: Any tips/advice for flying with a newborn baby?

And don't forget to book a bassinet seat- congratulations!

Sydney/Melbourne
reviews: 42
4. Re: Any tips/advice for flying with a newborn baby?

Do take a change of clothes - for yourself as well as the baby. Our first flight with a newborn (well, he was 6 weeks old) turned into disaster when he managed to ....... Well I'll leave it to your imagination but it involved orifices at both ends of his body......

We had a change of clothes for bubs but not for hubby who was the unfortunate recipient.

Be prepared!

London, United...
reviews: 23
5. Re: Any tips/advice for flying with a newborn baby?

Congratulations,,,:-))

A couple of bibs and a change of clothes as Eva says, you would be shocked at just how quickly they can destroy what they are wearing,,,bibs help. Oh and his dummy if he uses one...

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
6. Re: Any tips/advice for flying with a newborn baby?

Since I assume you'll be taking cars on either end if the flight, I strongly recommend buying a seat on the plane and having a car seat that you can put the baby in.

If you use a soft carrier like a Moby Wrap, those are great for holding a newborn close during a flight.

Try lots of types of pacifiers in advance and see what your baby prefers. Mine loved Wubbanubs, a friend's baby will only use Mams.

Bring extra formula, lots of extra diapers, and spare clothes for all of you. You never know.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 17
7. Re: Any tips/advice for flying with a newborn baby?

I'm with BB. A car seat and his own seat are the safest way for a baby to fly. G-d forbid you hit serious turbulence you won't be able to hold him. AND while serious turbulence is not that frequent, it only has to happen once.

Congrats on becoming parents.

8. Re: Any tips/advice for flying with a newborn baby?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, October 07, 2014