We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flight center sydney ripped me off 600 AUD, how to get back?

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 32
Flight center sydney ripped me off 600 AUD, how to get back?

Hi,

I just got ripped off 600 AUD by flight center sydney airport office (comparing the price I paid and the price from the airline website for the same flight). I contacted customer service asking about their lowest price guarantee. Unfortunately I was denied any refund. This is the first time I ever use travel agent to book flight. Any suggestion how to get the refund? Thanks!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 53
1. Re: Flight center sydney ripped me off 600 AUD, how to get back?

You're a bit scant on information. What's your basis for asking for a refund? Did you read the terms of the lowest price guarantee? Did you sign for $X and they billed you for $X + 600?

uk
reviews: 195
2. Re: Flight center sydney ripped me off 600 AUD, how to get back?

You wouldn't get a refund just because booking direct with the airline is cheaper - these guys rely on a stream of people buying off them often at higher price. All comes down to the small print - if it's like booking.com the lowest price guarantee is often worthless once you have actually booked something

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 32
3. Re: Flight center sydney ripped me off 600 AUD, how to get back?

Fair enough, guess I just need to forget about the loss and learn my lesson - avoid flight center :)

London, United...
reviews: 23
4. Re: Flight center sydney ripped me off 600 AUD, how to get back?

Just compare the final price from the agent with the final price from the airline. If the agency is substantially still cheaper and they are reputable and you have researched them thoroughly it might be worth it. However I have never ever heard of that scenario actually occurring in real life.

Alternatively, forget the comparison and just book with the airline:-))

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel
reviews: 40
5. Re: Flight center sydney ripped me off 600 AUD, how to get back?

Yep, it's totally in the T&C.

I you feel you've met every criteria, then discuss it in greater detail with FC, and make them give you an explanation why it was not applicable.

If you are still dissatisfied, then take it up with Fair Trade.

Nashville, TN
reviews: 8
6. Re: Flight center sydney ripped me off 600 AUD, how to get back?

The thing that gets molst people is that the fare must be in the identical class of service for the identical flights and usually must be available within a specified time frame.

This means you can't just look at a fare in economy and if it's lower, the guarantee applies. Your ticket has to be in the same fare bucket as the fare you're now seeing. Also, the routing, dates and times have to be the same as the ticket you purchased. Finally, the fare must be available withing a specified time period from the time you purchased your ticket.

Like the T&S' on your airline tickets, read the T&C's on the low price guarantees carefully before you decide to purchase. Like anything else, they're worded to give the seller the advantage.

UK
reviews: 88
7. Re: Flight center sydney ripped me off 600 AUD, how to get back?

(comparing the price I paid and the price from the airline website for the same flight)

======

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding something, if at the exact same time the price was $600 cheaper booked direct, why didn't you book direct?

Or, if you found it cheaper on the airline website some days later, where in the Ts&Cs does it say that you get a refund if the flight drops after you booked? The most generous conditions I've seen have a time limit, usually 24 hours, plus they are always so tightly qualified that you have a better chance of flying somewhere yourself by flapping your arms quickly, than getting the refund.

I presume you compared the price on the day with the airline and it was cheaper, correct?

Perth, Australia
reviews: 16
8. Re: Flight center sydney ripped me off 600 AUD, how to get back?

I suspect the OP made the mistake of doing what I did a few years ago. I hadn't done much travelling, either overseas or domestic, and on the rare occasions I did travel, I used a travel agent. About 6 years ago, new hubby and I decided to go to Singapore and the Maldives. I'd heard negative stories about Flight Centre, so went to a small local travel agent as neither of us had any idea about how to go about booking everything ourselves. She mucked us around with deposits, bookings etc and we didn't have a very good experience with them overall. I thought what we were being charged was quite expensive, so I started getting a bit more "adventurous" (LOL) and looked up flights etc online, only to find that I couldn't get anywhere near the amount the agent had charged us for flights and accommodation - the total I came up with was far less by at least a couple of thousand dollars. I asked for a breakdown of the amounts on the invoice, which she refused to give us, saying that she "couldn't get that information" (what a load of BS) and generally gave us the runaround - unfortunately by that stage, it was too late to do anything about it as we'd already paid in full for the trip. But we live and learn - once bitten, twice shy, as they say - have never used a travel agent since, and probably never will again. I always research and book everything online myself, usually directly with the airlines and accommodation providers.

Edited: 12:10 am, October 05, 2013
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 11
9. Re: Flight center sydney ripped me off 600 AUD, how to get back?

On the other hand, the travel agent that I use in Sydney has consistently been able to find RTW air tickets at prices significantly below any I can find on the web. And he always gives us details of the pricing.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel
reviews: 40
10. Re: Flight center sydney ripped me off 600 AUD, how to get back?

With a RTW or a complicated multi-city ticket, that's fair enough Nick, but for the great majority of tickets, it's usually a fairly standard return or a single stopover, that's why we always recommend to book direct.