We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can I watch videos off my iphone on a plane?

London, United...
reviews: 2
Can I watch videos off my iphone on a plane?

I travelled with Monarch last year and a very rude attendant told me to turn off my video even though I was in air mode. A passanger sat near me had the same problem, however on the way back I was able to watch videos.

I am travelling with easyjet this year and didn't know whether this would be the same?

UK
reviews: 88
1. Re: Can I watch videos off my iphone on a plane?

Yes you can unless Monarch have some very strange no electronic devices at all rule.

Your phone though, should not be switched on when taking off or landing, generally when below 10,000ft. Roughly, when the seatbelt signs are on for take off and landing. (this rule is likely to be mostly removed sometime soon. But its there at the moment.)

There is also another airline imposed rule, on most airlines anyway, no headphones in when taking off/landing. This is for safety reasons and is likely to stay.

Leyland, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
reviews: 42
2. Re: Can I watch videos off my iphone on a plane?

I presume you've checked their website? The information will be on there.

Worthing, United...
reviews: 11
3. Re: Can I watch videos off my iphone on a plane?

Yes you can. I always watch films on my iPad when flying it makes the time pass wonderfully. Good headphones are quite important to because the background noise can be so loud you can't hear properly with normal headphones.

Jackie

reviews: 9
4. Re: Can I watch videos off my iphone on a plane?

Agreed, we fly easyjet a lot and no probs watching anything on the iPad, my son uses his iPod as well :-)

Fredericton, Canada
reviews: 31
5. Re: Can I watch videos off my iphone on a plane?

Air Canada allows headphones on takeoff and landing but they must be in-ear "ear bud" types. No full or over-the-ear headphones allowed. I'm surprised they even allow ear buds, but they do.

Banbury
6. Re: Can I watch videos off my iphone on a plane?

<<Yes you can. I always watch films on my iPad when flying it makes the time pass wonderfully>>

The question here is specifically about using a mobile phone on an aircraft even whilst the device is set in flight mode. My own experience is many airlines I've flown with insist that phones be switched off regardless of the setting for the entire flight, but they do allow other electronic devices such as computers, pads and other entertainment devices to used when the aircraft is at its cruising height.

MERSEYSIDE
reviews: 53
7. Re: Can I watch videos off my iphone on a plane?

the message is usually a standard one, no electronic devices for take off and landing and phones must be switched to flight mode

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
reviews: 85
8. Re: Can I watch videos off my iphone on a plane?

I was on EasyJet a fortnight ago and they did say set phones to flightmode and switch off. I'm pretty sure that was for the flight but could be mistaken.

Other gadgets could be used between take off and landing. An option is to have films on and Mp3 player.

If it is a long flight you could ring them to check. I can find no definite information through searches.

Edited: 4:24 pm, October 04, 2013
London
reviews: 73
9. Re: Can I watch videos off my iphone on a plane?

I think the turning off if for the take off and landing, the flight mode is for the entire flight.

If it's with Easyjet, I doubt it's going to be a particularly long flight.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
10. Re: Can I watch videos off my iphone on a plane?

Not relevant to Monarch, but Chinese airlines do not allow mobile phones to be switched on at all on domestic flights. I was happily listening to a podcast on an Air China PVG-PEK flight and the flight attendant asked me to switch the phone off (very politely). My coworker explained the situation, in that my having my iPhone switched on - even in airplane mode - may encourage other pax to switch theirs on, not in airplane mode!