We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to claim for refreshments when flight delayed

manchester, uk
reviews: 146
How to claim for refreshments when flight delayed

my flybe flight was delayed 2hrs and according to eu law we were supposed to get free refreshments, phone calls etc but got nothing. Airline not responding (6 weeks and heard nothing) to request for reimbursement for drink and food costs and Civil Aviation Authority say they won't get involved when imho they should. Anyone had the same problem or advice what to do?

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Travel Gadgets and Gear
reviews: 194
1. Re: How to claim for refreshments when flight delayed

Wow, two hour delay? I would surely hope that the Civil Aviation Authority has better things to do in managing safety of flight than to worry too much about lack of compensation for refreshments when there's a huge two hour delay.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 17
2. Re: How to claim for refreshments when flight delayed

The way I just read the law it says you "may" be entitled to refreshments, not that you definitely are. My initial reaction--you have to be kidding. Surely the time you are spending in chasing down the cost of a drink and snack is more than the cost.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
3. Re: How to claim for refreshments when flight delayed

On which date was your flight, what was the flight number and between which airports did you fly? Then we can check the actual vs scheduled departure time.

The regulation states (emphasis mine) "1. When an operating air carrier REASONABLY EXPECTS a flight to be delayed beyond its scheduled time of departure: .... (a) for two hours or more in the case of flights of 1 500 kilometres or less; ....." - eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do…

So that could depend on how the delay came about.

But, I would agree that claiming for refreshments alone would probably be a waste of time (though if the flight were delayed you of course have the right to do so). When I was last delayed in Europe (LCY-FRA) Lufthansa gave me a £3 voucher. Maybe it's worth £4 now, but that's the ball park figure that you'd be claiming for (and for a claim you'd need to submit receipts proving you did buy your own refreshments).

If you choose to claim, here's what you complete and send to the airline with a polite cover note - …europa.eu/transport/themes/passengers/air/d…

Edited: 8:27 pm, October 03, 2013
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney
reviews: 30
4. Re: How to claim for refreshments when flight delayed

The amount you're entitled to - if applicable - is not going to match the costs you've incurred chasing this matter up for six weeks.

Tasmania
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
reviews: 71
5. Re: How to claim for refreshments when flight delayed

"Civil Aviation Authority say they won't get involved when imho they should"

Surely, Civil Aviation Authorities have got better things to do than worry about who paid for your snacks. I thought they were supposed to look after stuff like the safety of the airways. Did you really ask them to get involved?

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 15
6. Re: How to claim for refreshments when flight delayed

How much are you claiming for anyway? If the delay was just a couple of hours it can't be more than a few quid. Surely a waste of time?

London.UK
reviews: 1
7. Re: How to claim for refreshments when flight delayed

Has it really come to this, a 2 hour delay and folk can't spend a couple of quid to buy their own refreshments ?

Contacting the CAA about something so trivial is a shocking waste of everyones time, including the OP's.

Worthing, United...
reviews: 11
8. Re: How to claim for refreshments when flight delayed

The amount you would have received would have been a voucher for £3.00 to spend at the airport.

If your flight was delayed for two hours and you were still in departures then you might have had a chance to part exchange the voucher for a Boots meal deal, I say might because if your flight took off exactly two hours late and you cannot time travel then you would have missed the plane.

Now if you think fighting for a voucher worth £3.00 which you could only spend at the airport on the day when you are no longer at the airport is worth it then fill your foolish boots. You will get absolutely nowhere.

Jackie

UK
reviews: 24
9. Re: How to claim for refreshments when flight delayed

You are all mocking the OP... but isn't there perhaps a wider issue?

Airlines have obligations under EU261/2004.... which many airlines (I know this is not an isolated case) are deliberately and systematically trying to avoid because airlines don't like EU261/2004. And I think they are relying on the fact that most people won't make a fuss over a five pound refreshment voucher. Not providing these refreshment vouchers is saving airlines many many thousands of pounds.

Complaining after the event is pointless... but I certainly think people should insist on their rights at the time by going up to the airline's desk and asking for refreshments. In my experience airlines won't refuse if people ask - they just hope that people won't ask.

Edited: 1:56 am, October 04, 2013
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney
reviews: 30
10. Re: How to claim for refreshments when flight delayed

The replies have to be read in context.

We aren't stating the OP isn't entitled, we are saying that spending 6 weeks after the fact, chasing up a potential £3 voucher isn't worth contacting the CAA over.