We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Daily contact lenses

Atlanta
reviews: 1
Daily contact lenses

There are some old posts discussing whether daily contact lenses will be a TSA problem if they are in carry on luggage. I was wondering if anyone had had a problem with them in the last year or so. Thanks.

13 replies to this topic
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
reviews: 77
1. Re: Daily contact lenses

I don't see how contact lens can be a problem. Your typical contact lens holder doesn't contain enough liquid to break the 3-1-1 rule. Bottles of contact lens solution could pose a problem if the amount contained exceeds the rule.

Edited: 1:55 pm, October 02, 2013
Auburn, AL
reviews: 25
2. Re: Daily contact lenses

Contact lenses usually come prepackaged in boxes. Leave the boxes intact and pack them with the rest of your belongings.

Edited: 2:21 pm, October 02, 2013
Wales
reviews: 14
3. Re: Daily contact lenses

I had solution confiscated earlier this year (in the UK). The problem was that the solution contained hydrogen peroxide, not the quantity (it was a 100ml bottle). I think I was unlucky in that I suspect that while officers know that lens solution often contains hydrogen peroxide, they generally turn a blind eye - I've worn lenses for nearly 35 years and never had a problem until now.

I'm sure you won't have a problem at all with dailies.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
reviews: 74
4. Re: Daily contact lenses

I've never had any problem with them. When there's room to put them in my Ziploc bag I do, but when there isn't room I've just packed them in my carry-on and haven't been questioned. If you're flying out of Atlanta, I wouldn't give it a second thought.

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
reviews: 85
5. Re: Daily contact lenses

I went through a couple of internal UK flights last week and put a couple of strips of Dailys in my zip lock security bag and they did look at them but didn't test. I also take a tiny bottle of moisturising drops with me. They did the hand gel though.

I have carried them in hand luggage - international- before not thinking about the liquid and nothing was said.

London, United...
reviews: 449
6. Re: Daily contact lenses

As Long as they are in Ziploc meeting TSA regulations, they are safe.

Auckland Region...
reviews: 79
7. Re: Daily contact lenses

I travelled from New Zealand to Europe and back with stoppovers and carried a 90 day pack(unopened) and another pack (opened) in my hand luggage, and noone anywhere questioned me at all. I did not put them in a ziplock bag or anything either.

Frankln Park PA
reviews: 1
8. Re: Daily contact lenses

I concur with the other posters, having the same experience, both domestic and internationally. Just to be safe, I always throw a few extra pairs into my ziplock bag with toiletries to have in a pinch. But I have easily passed through security all over the world with a few pairs in my purse and a full box in my carry on bag, without incident.

Atlanta, Georgia
reviews: 12
9. Re: Daily contact lenses

Another Atlanta-based contact lens wearer here. I always carry my lens holder (usually with a small amount of fluid in it) in the same case as my eyeglasses. That always goes with me in my carry on - usually on my person in case I need to remove my lenses during the flight for any reason. I don't normally put it in the 3-1-1 bag and have never been challenged over it.

I also carry a separate bottle of solution (non-peroxide). The solution I use is readily available in 4 oz bottles which fit easily in the 3-1-1 bag. That's technically larger than what TSA allows (it's about 120 ml), but again I have never been challenged over it. In the event that I was, I'm confident I could find a suitable replacement at my destination.

I don't normally check any luggage, so stowing excess solution in a suitcase is not really an option for me, but again I have been traveling for years with this configuration and it has never so much as raised an eyebrow. I am sure you'll be fine.

-JimG

10. Re: Daily contact lenses

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 6:05 am, May 21, 2014
Edited: 6:05 am, May 21, 2014

Reply to: Daily contact lenses
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted