We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Disappointed with Cathay Pacific

Hong Kong, China
Disappointed with Cathay Pacific

I have booked the airticket from Cathay Pacific departing to Bali in Oct 7, and also booked the domestic flight and hotel to Lombok. My plan to arrive Bali at 0600 and depart to Lombok at 0910. In Sep 30, I was told my flight to Bali is canceled and they will put me in another flight arriving at 1500. Within 7 days notification, I cannot rearrange my flight and cancel my hotel booking. Finally, I need to pay extra for buy another airticket to fly on the next day and pay extra to book a hotel in Bali. With their response to my complaint, they have just repeatedly told me that nothing they can help and they can only cancel and refund for my airticket if I do not accept their arrangement. It is really unacceptable for suddenly cancel the flight. I don't expect such irresponsible services supposed to be offered by a world classed airline.

Hong Kong, China
reviews: 23
1. Re: Disappointed with Cathay Pacific

It can happen with any airline

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 34
2. Re: Disappointed with Cathay Pacific

Were the 2 flights on one ticket or separate?

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
reviews: 143
3. Re: Disappointed with Cathay Pacific

Indeed, one of the perils booking seperate tickets. Was there anyway you could have got this itinerary all on one booking?

Salisbury, United...
reviews: 98
4. Re: Disappointed with Cathay Pacific

Sadly this can happen with any airline.

I guess you have bought a separate ticket to Lombok, if this is the case you have elected to bear the whole risk. In other words if you can't make to connection to Lombok your ticket will be cancelled as you will be a no show and if you have a return is also cancelled. Unless you are flying with a LCC that only sells point to point. Can you change your ticket for a fee?

This is the risk in buying 2 tickets you bear all the costs if the first flight is cancelled or delayed. Cathay Pacific will not be liable.

London, United...
reviews: 501
5. Re: Disappointed with Cathay Pacific

Whoever flies to Lombok, why not trying to contact and see if you can reschedule? As long as Cathy brings you to Bali, that is their liability not for another carrier's schedule sadly.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 51
6. Re: Disappointed with Cathay Pacific

Separate tickets burned you here, mate. You win some, you lose some.

Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 140
7. Re: Disappointed with Cathay Pacific

If there's a flight the day before with Cathay pacific I would ask to be put on that, it would mean an overnight stay in Bali but at least you would be able to procedd with the rest of the itinerary as planned.

Madrid
reviews: 7
8. Re: Disappointed with Cathay Pacific

Bali to Lombok is only a few miles.There is a small ferry that goes twice a day.

The dangers of booking separate tickets have just become apparent.It is the booking of separate tickets that is irresponsible,not an airline rearranging its schedule.

London, United...
reviews: 23
9. Re: Disappointed with Cathay Pacific

To be fair, with this short turnaround you would have had the same issue if your flight was delayed any. Just put it down to lesson learned and overly optimistic booking. If ferry goes it seems like a good option. If not so is going a day earlier.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
reviews: 79
10. Re: Disappointed with Cathay Pacific

CX probably had to reshuffle its schedule due to the APEC meeting to be held at Bali from October 5 to 7 this year. It's just bad luck that it has an impact on your travel plans.