We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

immigration at Heathrow

Adelaide, Australia
reviews: 2
immigration at Heathrow

Hi

I have a flight leaving Terminal 4 at 16.50 for Dubai. I will be arriving from Rome, traveling on an Australian passport. My British Airways flight from Rome lands at Terminal 5 at 13.25. Check in for the Dubai flight closes 60 minutes before take off which will give me 2 hours and 25 minutes to get through immigration, collect luggage, get to T4 and check in again.. Would anyone know if that sounds reasonable?

Thanks and regards

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
reviews: 14
1. Re: immigration at Heathrow

If you have separate tickets then you will have to go through passport control and baggage collection at T5 before heading off to T4. Just under three and a half hours should be sufficient for this as long as the flight from Rome arrives on time.

Although you may take the free HEX shuttle from T5 to T4, it will include a change of train a Heathrow Central. A far more amenable journey is to take the 482 or 490 from T5 to T4. tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/…heathrow-t5.pdf The bus station at T5 is about a minute's walk from the Arrivals hall, covered to protect from rain and enhanced with very loud extractor fans.

tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/…heathrow-t4.pdf Once inside T4 you will find lifts up to Departures.

Adelaide, Australia
2. Re: immigration at Heathrow

Thanks Traveler Plus, Although I have just under 3 and a half hours until departure of the Dubai flight, check in closes one hour before so I have only 2 hours and 25 minutes to get there and checked in - still OK do you think? Thanks for the info on buses, very helpful!

Cheers

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
3. Re: immigration at Heathrow

lindalou,

IF your inbound flight from Rome arrives on time, then yes you have enough (plenty of) time to make it. You can probably absorb a delay of up to 45 minutes and still be fine. A longer delay and you'll be at the mercy of the immigration line, and the wait for the 482/490 buses, which are about one of those every ten minutes.

Remember that with (I presume) separate tickets, you are carrying all the risk of not making check in for the onward flight. If you fail to make check in (and you must have completed check in by T-60, not be next in line) you risk losing your onward ticket to DXB and having to buy a new one.

For that reason, I would not have booked those flights (I'd have booked two flights earlier from Rome to give more contingency). But, hopefully things will work out okay and you'll safely make it all the way to Dubai.

Good luck.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
reviews: 76
4. Re: immigration at Heathrow

The essential question is whether you are booked on the same ticket, or whether your second flight is with a Oneworld alliance carrier? It's best to get yourself checked-through instead of dealing with LHR formalities.

Adelaide, Australia
5. Re: immigration at Heathrow

we're booked in two separate tickets unfortunately so will have to go through the whole immigration, baggage check in again routine.

UK
reviews: 87
6. Re: immigration at Heathrow

Whats the actual point of your question lindalou? You are just going to have to hope it works out, and probably it will do as long as you land on time. Nothing you can do about it if its all booked !

London, United...
reviews: 440
7. Re: immigration at Heathrow

If you are arriving with Australian passport, you might face a lengthy queue for immigration. Thus, all depending on how swiftly you can go through the immigration. The service improved compared to the last year, but it all depends on this process assuming that your flight from Rome arrives on time. If there are flights arriving from developing countries around the same time, immigration process might be quite long unfortunately.

Worthing, United...
reviews: 11
8. Re: immigration at Heathrow

Hi

Explain to the BA cabin crew that you will be short on time at Heathrow and if you can sit by an exit row for landing. This might give you a vital extra few minutes to get through immigration. I've seen them help passengers in this way before.

Good luck

Jackie

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 53
9. Re: immigration at Heathrow

Explain to the BA cabin crew that you will be short on time at Heathrow and if you can sit by an exit row for landing.

An exit row seat isn't really going to buy you very much additional time (versus say picking the first row of the cabin they're travelling in) particularly on short haul and certainly if they arrive at T5B, C or remote stand.

Adelaide, Australia
10. Re: immigration at Heathrow

Thanks everyone for your great advice. I haven't actually booked the Rome to Heathrow leg yet and your replies are making me feel a bit nervous. Now tossing up between a very expensive BA flight which will get me in to Heathrow at 10.00am or a much cheaper Easyjet into Gatwick at 8.35 am and pre booking a taxi across to Heathrow which would be half the price and give me lots of extra time.