We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Enough time to connect flights at Birmingham UK?

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 5
Enough time to connect flights at Birmingham UK?

Hello, I am looking to book a short trip to Majorca the week after next. Due to school holidays where I live, the price of a direct flight home is more than twice the cost of travelling to Edinburgh via Birmingham. The flight from Palma arrives at 12.25 and the flight to Edinburgh leaves at 13.45. Is this do-able? We will have hand luggage only. Flight from Palma is with Thompson and flight to Edinburgh is Flybe. Any advice will be appreciated!

4 replies to this topic
UK
reviews: 81
1. Re: Enough time to connect flights at Birmingham UK?

Is this do-able?

======

I wouldn't risk it and did you consider that the incoming flight might not be on time in which case you just lost your second flight and will have to buy new ones on the day. If you thought school holiday flights were expensive, you'll need heart medicine for those.

My advice is pony up and pay the extra or leave at least a 3 hour gap between flights*. Not all flights land on schedule and sometimes schedules change, even within a few days of booking, even on the day. On your Plan A, you'd only need a 30 minute or so change on both flights to make it impossible to get to the gate on time. I couldnt even count the number of flights I've been on where a 30 minute late take off is normal.

Proving that time IS money

Edited: 5:54 pm, October 01, 2013
Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
reviews: 210
2. Re: Enough time to connect flights at Birmingham UK?

With hand luggage only and if the incoming is on time you should be OK as long as you have printed off your Flybe boarding pass so you do not have to check in.The Flybe gate will close at 13.15 and if your arrival at passport coincides with Emirates or similar then that could slow you down considerably.

Note you will have to clear immigration at T1 then walk out of arrivals,turn right for 50 yds,all indoors, and then go up the T2 escalator through security and after DF turn left into T2.

It is all a bit tight-is there a later flight to Edinburgh?

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 5
3. Re: Enough time to connect flights at Birmingham UK?

Thanks for both of these replies. Yes, all we'd need is a 20 minute delay to mess things up good and proper! Perhaps the later flight to Edinburgh at an extra cost of £15pp and a 4 hour lay-over in Brum is preferable to a big charge for changing flights or not getting to Edinburgh at all! Think we'll play it safe - thanks again.

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
reviews: 210
4. Re: Enough time to connect flights at Birmingham UK?

Good call.

Reply to: Enough time to connect flights at Birmingham UK?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted