We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can I carry glassware/porclain in my carry on bagage

Can I carry glassware/porclain in my carry on bagage

I am going to London in mid November and shopping for some antiquities or collectibles in Portobello and some other flea markets is one of my major destinations. I dare not place those fragile glasses in my check-in luggage. Will I have any trouble at the checking station on my departure from Heathrow if I carry the collectibles in my carry on bagage? I am from Bangkok and this is my first visit to UK. I will fly THAI AIRWAYS.

14 replies to this topic
Toronto, Canada
reviews: 50
1. Re: Can I carry glassware/porclain in my carry on bagage

We have taken breakable a in our carry on with various airlines. I suggest having them well wrapped so that in the overhead compartment they are protected.

Oxford UK
reviews: 45
2. Re: Can I carry glassware/porclain in my carry on bagage

If you think they're not wrapped well enough, pop into a shop like WHSmiths or a post office and buy some plastic bubble wrap.

Canada
reviews: 23
3. Re: Can I carry glassware/porclain in my carry on bagage

I am curious what the OP's concern is, regarding bringing the items onboard.??

Is it that they won't be allowed?

Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
reviews: 14
4. Re: Can I carry glassware/porclain in my carry on bagage

When I traveled from a trip to Spain back to the US, I packed bottles of bath crystals in my carry-on luggage, well-padded (in thick socks). When they sent the luggage through x-ray, they saw "bottles" in my bag, so had to open it up for inspection, to make sure I wasn't carrying large quantities of liquid. They were satisfied with the "look" at these bottles & let me go on my way. Bottles or containers not holding liquids were fine.

San Jose
Destination Expert
for California
reviews: 74
5. Re: Can I carry glassware/porclain in my carry on bagage

Be prepared for a secondary inspection while going through security - the items will be allowed, it is just that they might look funny on the x-ray and require further inspection.

Melbourne
reviews: 1
6. Re: Can I carry glassware/porclain in my carry on bagage

I have been known to purchase a plastic food storage container to hold breakables in my carry on bag. The sort of thing you would use in the pantry at home. It keeps the breakable(s) unbroken and you can re-use it when you get home.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
reviews: 52
7. Re: Can I carry glassware/porclain in my carry on bagage

Carry-on is where I always put any fragile items- the baggage handlers aren't going to be as careful with my case as I am.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
8. Re: Can I carry glassware/porclain in my carry on bagage

Sangsoam,

I would definitely pack breakables in your carry on. I was in Bangkok last month and bought some breakables at Chatuchak Market. They wrapped them in newspaper and I put them as wrapped in my carry on and everything made it back fine. I had no issues at all with security.

The only thing you need to check is the weight limit for your carry ons with Thai Airways and whether that will be a problem. United's carry on weight limit is a generous 18kg so it wasn't a problem for me. But Thai's may be different (i.e. lower).

9. Re: Can I carry glassware/porclain in my carry on bagage

Thank you so much for all replies and suggestions. I feel concerned over this practice because I used to have to drop all my glass souvenirs in a wast bin at the inspection point in Toronto airport back then in 2005 or so.

Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 127
10. Re: Can I carry glassware/porclain in my carry on bagage

I'm not sure about glass because I've seen people have vases and such like confiscate at Malpensa airport, it may depend on the airport but it might be better to double ckeck with the airport authorities or maybe the airline will know.

Reply to: Can I carry glassware/porclain in my carry on bagage
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted