We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Etihad and Air Berlin to Phuket (from Manchester)

Edinburgh, Scotland
reviews: 10
Etihad and Air Berlin to Phuket (from Manchester)

Hi

Am looking at booking a holiday to Phuket in March 2014. First time to that part of Thailand and first time in peak season.

I have found flights from Manchester via Abu Dhabi on Etihad for £550 per person return. Seems like a great price to me and the flights times are pretty good for us. Also means just one stop as opposed to potentially 2 stops on other carriers.

However I have got a few concerns/queries.

It appears that the AUH-HKT leg is operated by Air Berlin (their code share partner on the one world alliance) - never heard of them before! Are they reliable?

The stopover outbound is 1 hr 25 mins - from previous searches most people think this is sufficient time to transfer at Abu Dhabi - but is it enough if changing from Etihad to Air Berlin? Should our bags transfer onto next flight okay? Coming back it is 2hrs 20 so a little less tight.

Given this is peak time in Phuket should we look to book these tickets fairly soon or should the prices remain fairly level (I know this is crystal ball stuff but our flights to vietnam dropped after we booked last year - not by much but we booked about 8 months in advance!) Does this seem a good price?

Another slight concern is that it is 2 x 6-7 legs and we usually do a short hop of 1 or 2 hours plus 10-12 hours when travelling to SE Asia but I think we will just see how this goes and if it stinks we will know not to do again!! Otherwise I suppose it is an opportunity to get up and stretch our economy cramped legs.

Edited: 7:44 am, October 01, 2013
12 replies to this topic
Edinburgh, Scotland
1. Re: Etihad and Air Berlin to Phuket (from Manchester)

Should have mentioned my next best option is from Glasgow via Emirates but it stops in Dubai for 4.5 hours outbound and over 10 hours on return leg. Plus it arrives in Phuket at 21.55 which seems a bit late at night for transferring to hotel. it is coming in at £534 each.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
reviews: 3
2. Re: Etihad and Air Berlin to Phuket (from Manchester)

Did you check Qatar Airways, they also fly direct to Phuket though it stops in Kuala Lumpur between Doha and Phuket.

There have been posts and mentioned of Air Berlin on the Phuket Forum from those who have used the route, perhaps post there also. 2155 is no worries to transfer to your hotel, howver that 10 hours on the return is a very long time.

If yuo travel Edinburgh to Manchester ( no iea how far journey that is ) and then to Abu Dhabi then Phuket you are flying 3 sectors, so perhaps Glasgow-Dubai-Bangkok on Emirates and then a local add on flight

Edited: 8:27 am, October 01, 2013
Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
3. Re: Etihad and Air Berlin to Phuket (from Manchester)

This is a thread on the Phuket Forum

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g297930-i9925-k…

Edinburgh, Scotland
4. Re: Etihad and Air Berlin to Phuket (from Manchester)

Thanks for this Monica - very helpful!

We can drive to Manchester fairly easily (3 hours) though Glasgow much closer and only about 1 hour drive. We wouldn't need to get flights to either.

However your link to the thread on Phuket forum (which I hadn't found so thanks for that) does nothing to alleviate my concerns - particularly the thought of our bags being delayed on the outbound leg! Used to flying Thai LHR to BKK who have great service

After I posted I found Emirates flights that have only 4-4.5 hour waits on both legs but £622 each - seems like it will be money well spent! Looked at other options and now veering towards a 2 stop trip e.g. on Malaysia via London and KL.

Edited: 10:58 am, October 01, 2013
Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
reviews: 222
5. Re: Etihad and Air Berlin to Phuket (from Manchester)

Your best option,if the price is affordable, is Thai from LHR-and you say you have experienced their service. Easy links in BKK to the many connecting flights to Phuket/and back.

SS

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
6. Re: Etihad and Air Berlin to Phuket (from Manchester)

If that is the connection time on Emirates then if it was me I would go on Emirates.

I know little about flights from Europe but can say that from 'here' if from Bangkok you have other options to Glasgow ( or perhaps even Edinburgh ) with airlines such as KLM via Amsterdam.

From Bangkok BKK Airport it is just Thai and Bangkok Airways to Phuket, Nok Air and Air Asia fly from Bangkok DMK airport so you would not want to change airports.

Edinburgh, Scotland
7. Re: Etihad and Air Berlin to Phuket (from Manchester)

Thanks

I think we are prob now settled on Edinburgh-LHR-KUL-Phuket via BA and Malaysia Airlines. There is a great 'special' price on Expedia that is cheaper than booking direct on Malaysia website - even cheaper than just booking from London! The times are ideal with just over 2 hours transit in each airport. All going well bags should be checked right through from Edinburgh and arrive with us in Phuket!

Thai Air currently much more expensive so unless their prices fall it is a no go.......

Have done KLM via Amsterdam in the past when just staying in Bangkok but its not working so well for this trip.

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
reviews: 222
8. Re: Etihad and Air Berlin to Phuket (from Manchester)

Go for it-but do remember these "special prices" will be nonflexible and if you cancel you lose the lot so,I am sure as a seasoned traveller, you already have good travel insurance.

Edinburgh, Scotland
9. Re: Etihad and Air Berlin to Phuket (from Manchester)

Yes have good travel insurance and always book non flexible tickets anyway!

Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 127
10. Re: Etihad and Air Berlin to Phuket (from Manchester)

Be careful with Expedia as sometimes when you go to book the price published isn't available, do a dummy booking and see if the price is still the same as the one published on the first page.

Reply to: Etihad and Air Berlin to Phuket (from Manchester)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted