We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

No More Star Alliance Timetables In PDF Format

Auckland
Level Contributor
35 posts
20 reviews
No More Star Alliance Timetables In PDF Format

Hello TripAdvisor Members - - -

How about letting the Star Alliance Help Desk at contact-us@staralliance.com know how you feel about the discontinuation of the Star Alliance .pdf Timetable?? Not aware that the timetables have been discontinued? Read on.

Star Alliance recently discontinued PDF timetables with the last one being valid through the end of August 2013. In the last few days I received a response from the Star Alliance Help Desk at contact-us@staralliance.com as to what has happened to the .pdf timetable. They said:

"Thank you for writing to us at the Star Alliance Help Desk.

The PDF timetable was discontinued due to the very small number of requests/downloads per month.

This is, of course, very unfortunate for those who enjoyed the benefit of the timetable, however we had to make this decision based on the overall costs required to maintain this service. We also offer alternative flight schedule solutions which are available on our mobile phone and tablet products, which allow you to search any route served by any Star Alliance member airline.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Regards,

Star Alliance Help Desk

STAR ALLIANCE

THE WAY THE EARTH CONNECTS"

I travel extensively around the world using RTW tickets and have found the then most current Star Alliance .pdf timetable to be invaluable asset, especially in the case of delayed or cancelled flights. In several instances these timetables on my laptop have assisted passengers, and even crew, of Star Alliance flights in finding alternate flights in the event of delays and cancellations. For this reason I've always had a copy of the latest .pdf timetable with me when I travel.

The .pdf timetable is also a great resource when it comes to trip planning and being able to see in one place all Star Alliance cities and flights. Without this resource it's going to make future trip planning more difficult.

For an organization the size of Star Alliance, I can't imagine the cost of producing a once-a-month timetable is much at all. Perhaps Star Alliance could defray costs by selling more advertisements?? Furthermore I have been unable to run the PC (star.exe, 4.7mb timetable program) on my Windows 7 based computer. Is anyone else experiencing problems with the star.exe program?

So, with Star Alliance offering timetables for Palm OS, what's next? New paper timetables that only require one tree for each timetable?

Hope with enough communication from TripAdvisor members that Star Alliance will reverse its position.

Fredericia, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Bentota, Beruwala, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
1. Re: No More Star Alliance Timetables In PDF Format

All airlines and alliances are trying to cut down expenses where they can, unfortunately.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
29,426 posts
2. Re: No More Star Alliance Timetables In PDF Format

It's annoying that airlines are making it difficult to find out if they are running a route - now you have to put in several dates just in case the frequency is not every day or if they fly at different times on different days.

Auckland
Level Contributor
35 posts
20 reviews
3. Re: No More Star Alliance Timetables In PDF Format

In making things more challenging for the flying public, perhaps the airlines would prefer if we took the train.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
17,827 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: No More Star Alliance Timetables In PDF Format

Do any of you remember the handy OAG pocket guides timetables ? I had them until some years ago, no idea if they still print them.

OK, it was not 'real time' because printed in advance but knowing which airlines did which routes and working out my own connections was great. I could flick over a page and read dow faster than anyone could even log-in on a PC :) LOL

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
14,703 posts
74 reviews
5. Re: No More Star Alliance Timetables In PDF Format

Hi,

There is a monthly version of what one would call an OAG-type guide published in Thailand - this it limits listings to those to/from Thai airports, but it is pretty comprehensive and includes the LCCs like AirAsia group flights.

I suspect the Star Alliance is both cost-cutting or cost-controlling, but I bet they did actually look at the downloads and hits the .pdf received and the math just didn't support it..

Sure, its a definite asset for some, no doubts, but I think the costs - however small or big they were - just couldn't be supported given its use levels.

Travel Safe,

Newmarket, Canada
Level Contributor
1,166 posts
45 reviews
6. Re: No More Star Alliance Timetables In PDF Format

If the goal is to look up route options from various cities, I prefer the routemap on the Star Alliance website. Click on a city to see all destinations from there, and it displays the carriers and timetable for the route selected. While there might be a situation where having the PDF is handy, I can't say I've ever felt the need to carry a copy of the full timetable of the alliance.

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
5,795 posts
7. Re: No More Star Alliance Timetables In PDF Format

Advertising is not going to help - why would someone buy an ad in a downloadable file that nobody ever reads? Times change. So many people can connect with smart phones and other devices these days it is not surprising that the first stop is the internet. Type in two airport codes and Google will give you all the flights in less than a second - not to mention the status. Much more useful than a printed guide during irregular operations when dozens of flights are cancelled or delayed.

Sunnyvale...
Destination Expert
for San Jose
Level Contributor
5,961 posts
114 reviews
8. Re: No More Star Alliance Timetables In PDF Format

The *A pdf timetable was kind of huge and unwieldy. I last downloaded a copy a the end of June if that matters to anyone.

I found the individual timetables more useful anyway: br, nh, sq, ua, etc. IMO, the br timetable stinks.

I don't remember if there was a pdf available for nz or oz? Somebody was missing, so I had the *A pdf on hand.

9. Re: No More Star Alliance Timetables In PDF Format

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:40 am, October 03, 2014