We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thomson 787 Dreamliner vs Virgin 747 (Refitted)

Peterborough, Cambs
reviews: 21
Thomson 787 Dreamliner vs Virgin 747 (Refitted)

We are planning our next holiday to Florida (2 adults to Children) and I was wondering which airline option would be better?

A: Thomson 787 Dreamliner - Bigger seat pitch, bigger windows, better humidity but only the choice of 1 meal, flies into Sandford (longer transfer to our hotel +1hr) got to pay for drinks

or

B: Virgin's refitted 747 - choice meals, complimentary drinks, flies into MCO, possibly better inflight entertainemnt

I've flown with Virgin a number of times before but ive not flown on the new 787 so would appreciate some thoughts on which option you would choose?

Many thanks.

17 replies to this topic
Leyland, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
reviews: 32
1. Re: Thomson 787 Dreamliner vs Virgin 747 (Refitted)

I wouldn't trade the larger seat pitch for anything!

Berkshire, England
reviews: 56
2. Re: Thomson 787 Dreamliner vs Virgin 747 (Refitted)

Bigger seat pitch is good but I would opt for flying into MCO. I wouldn't let the meals sway me either way as most airline food is dire. Really, only you can decide what matters more to you.

Peterborough, Cambs
3. Re: Thomson 787 Dreamliner vs Virgin 747 (Refitted)

Thanks for the input so far! Have two small children a choice at meal time would be nice! And flying into MCO saving an hour after a 9 hour flight is also appealing! Then so is a 34" seat pitch!!

Cardiff, United...
reviews: 11
4. Re: Thomson 787 Dreamliner vs Virgin 747 (Refitted)

Choose Virgin and get extra leg rooms sets if you want the extra space.

Lancaster, United...
reviews: 28
5. Re: Thomson 787 Dreamliner vs Virgin 747 (Refitted)

Scheduled airline = more flexible.

Charter = no thanks, not for me.

I would go to MCO not Sanford anyway, but usually go indirect via Philly as its (normally) far cheaper for us....

Wouldn't go out of my way for a 787 ;-);-)

It's only a means to an end & as for airline food, don't eat it anyway, it's poor at best from any airline.

London, United...
reviews: 1
6. Re: Thomson 787 Dreamliner vs Virgin 747 (Refitted)

At a moment I wouldn't fly with 787 Nightmare liner - one of the most unreliable planes at a moment and not safe. (unexplained fires, technical issues with Norwegian's 787 so that they returned their plane back to Boeing)... Still I would fly with European Airbuses, but if I have to choose, I would fly with Virgin's 747

Peterborough, Cambs
7. Re: Thomson 787 Dreamliner vs Virgin 747 (Refitted)

I am slightly in favour of Virgin especially now all of their Gatwick based 747's have been updated and refitted.

Also forgot to mention that Thomson's 787 flight was slightly cheaper.

Peterborough, Cambs
8. Re: Thomson 787 Dreamliner vs Virgin 747 (Refitted)

I am slightly in favour of Virgin especially now all of their Gatwick based 747's have been updated and refitted.

Also forgot to mention that Thomson's 787 flight was slightly cheaper.

Leeds, UK
reviews: 49
9. Re: Thomson 787 Dreamliner vs Virgin 747 (Refitted)

Panu

Get your facts right before making idiotic statements. The "unexplained" fires have been explained, as has been discussed to death on many online forums. The Ethiopian Airways one was a manufacturing defect with the Emergency Transponder Beacon which is made by Honeywell not Boeing.

Yes Norwegain are having problems with them along with a few other airlines, but several other including our very own BA and Thomson are flying them with very few problems reported and the feedback especially from Thomson passengers has been very positive.

As for the Op, I didnt post earlier cause ive not flown virgin so have no point of reference, but I have flown Thomson long haul many times and always found them excellent. You need to decide what factors are most important to you when making your decision. Either way, with whatever you choose have an excellent holiday :-)

South West UK
reviews: 12
10. Re: Thomson 787 Dreamliner vs Virgin 747 (Refitted)

Flown longhaul with Virgin (many times) & Thomson (twice) - Cancun on a 767

I had no complaints with either of the Thomson flights. The pre-refit VS 747's out of Gatwick were certainly showing their age - but the refits have really improved the IFE and interior - and the 747 is still a great aircraft to fly on

Given the points above, I'd take the 747 and MCO over the 787 and SFB - As others have said, don't base your decision on the meals - they can be hit and miss on VS so it boils down to seat pitch and slight saving on cost vs IFE and MCO

Whatever decision you make, have a great holiday :-)

Jon B

Edited: 12:20 pm, October 01, 2013
Reply to: Thomson 787 Dreamliner vs Virgin 747 (Refitted)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted