We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JFK Terminal 4 International Arrival

Byram, NJ
reviews: 3
JFK Terminal 4 International Arrival

I'll be arriving at JFK Terminal 4 from South Africa on a separate flight from my husband :(. His flight arrives 3 hours later, but we''d still like to share a car service home. I don't mind waiting, as long as I can find a comfortable place to hunker down. As most of the "better" restaurants are located post-security, I was wondering whether I can collect my baggage then stay in the secure area, waiting to go through customs/exit secure area after DH arrives. Or is baggage claim after customs? If I do have to leave the secure area while I wait, any suggestions for a good, comfortable place with decent food (no food court please) where I can relax while I wait?

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 19
1. Re: JFK Terminal 4 International Arrival

You are not going to be happy but the decent restaurants are AFTER the secure area for departing flights. There is no place to wait prior to customs and there is no place to wait in the baggage hall. There are a handful of seats in the arrival hall AFTER you exit the baggage area. What happened was that last April or so the Terminal was reconfigured and the above was the result. There are some eateries ( not fancy) in the process of building stands in the arrival area, but I have no idea when they will be completed.

You can not access the secure departure area from the secure arrival area.

Byram, NJ
2. Re: JFK Terminal 4 International Arrival

Well...Thanks for the info. Any ideas on places pre-security at other terminals or on the Air Train route (Howard Beach/Jamaica Station) I can go to wait? Anyone used Oasis Lounge? Is it worth it?

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
3. Re: JFK Terminal 4 International Arrival

I am not as familiar with other terminals in terms of what they have pre-security. Howard Beach/Jamaica have nothing--and then you get to pay $5 for airtrain ( each way) What I suggest you do it go over to the NYC forum. There you have loads of locals. Tell them you have 3 hours down time ( not making a connection) and ask which terminal would have a decent pre-security place to wait for hubby so you can share a car service home. AND being NYorkers--they're a tough bunch and will ask why you didn't do EWR etc. etc. --so just blow that off and get whatever info you can.

Byram, NJ
4. Re: JFK Terminal 4 International Arrival

LOL Thanks. EWR is our preferred airport! :) But there's no direct flight to Johannesburg to/from there :(

Dubai, United Arab...
5. Re: JFK Terminal 4 International Arrival

I am arriving at America for the first time at JFK T4 and have to take a domestic flight at T 8. I have no idea of the procedure. I have about five hours between the two flights.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 51
6. Re: JFK Terminal 4 International Arrival

Clear immigration at T4, collect bags at T4, clear customs at T4, Take Skytrain to T8, check-in for flight, clear security, board aircraft.

If you are on one ticket and are checking bags then you'll place your checked bags on the transit belt just after clearing customs.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 62
7. Re: JFK Terminal 4 International Arrival

The only terminal with "restaurant" pre security is Terminal 1. There is a food court there but it is horrible and crowded!! That's where I met my sister and her husband during my 5hr. layover last month.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
8. Re: JFK Terminal 4 International Arrival

Amany--you really should have started a new thread. As you see post # 7 responded to the OP ( original poster) not to you--embedding a question within someone else's thread is confusing. That being said....

the place to recheck your baggage has been changed. What you do is leave the baggage hall, turn left and go straight. --around 15 meters! ( the recheck area right next to the exit area is now Delta only) This, btw is only good if you are on 1 ticket booked from Dubai? to wherever you are going domestically.

If you are on two separate tickets you need to recheck your luggage in terminal 8. You take it with you are AIR train ( not skytrain) If you have a lot of luggage you can wheel the luggage cart right onto the airtrain.

9. Re: JFK Terminal 4 International Arrival

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, October 16, 2014