We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Changi - Scoot-thru vs normal checkin for Silkair flight

Wellington
reviews: 39
Changi - Scoot-thru vs normal checkin for Silkair flight

I am flying into Singapore from Singapore on Scoot (arriving around 7pm on Friday) and then out to Yangon on Silkair with a 3 hour gap in between. I have the option of purchasing Scoot-thru at the airport. I've had a quick look at the stats for timeliness for Scoot and they don't look too bad. However (just in case) I would be interested in feedback from anyone who has used Scoot-thru recently about whether this is a faster option than just clearing immigration and checking back in for the Silkair flight. I will only have hand luggage.

Edited: 10:21 pm, September 28, 2013
Wellington
1. Re: Changi - Scoot-thru vs normal checkin for Silkair flight

Whoops, that should be flying into Singapore from Sydney!

Sydney/Melbourne
reviews: 47
2. Re: Changi - Scoot-thru vs normal checkin for Silkair flight

Did you read this on the Scoot-thrust info page?

>>*Please note that Scoot-Thru is temporarily unavailable for purchase for interline journeys with at least one sector operated by Singapore Airlines or SilkAir.<<

Wellington
3. Re: Changi - Scoot-thru vs normal checkin for Silkair flight

I emailed Scoot for clarification about this, and what is meant is that you cannot protect your transfer to Silkair with Scoot-thru at this time.

What you get by purchasing Scoot-thru get is the ability to go to a transfer desk at Terminal 2 and get your boarding pass for your next flight without clearing immigration, and having to check in at Departures. I am keen to hear from people who have taken this option recently, as earlier this year there were reports of long queues and poor admin at the transfer desk. It is a relatively small amount of money, so the question is less about the value, and more about what will get me on to my next flight quickest, if there is a delay.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
reviews: 77
4. Re: Changi - Scoot-thru vs normal checkin for Silkair flight

The line up at the transfer desk can look more intimidating than it is in reality. In my experience, I've seen it long and seen it short... and there is likely a correlation with the immigration line. I assume that your bags are checked all the way through to Yangon.

Edited: 3:54 am, September 29, 2013
Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Malta
reviews: 75
5. Re: Changi - Scoot-thru vs normal checkin for Silkair flight

My daughter was going to do scoot thru on Bangkok to Sydney via Changi in June. She was going to purchase at check in at Bangkok, but the check in guy didn't seem to understand so she didn't bother. It was no big deal to claim her bag, clear immigration on a UK passport and check in again. Very little 'delay', just extra hassle explaining that she was 'in transit' and not going into Singapore.

Wellington
6. Re: Changi - Scoot-thru vs normal checkin for Silkair flight

Thanks for that info. Fortunately I will only have a cabin bag, as checking through to Yangon is definitely not an option given the interline issues. I guess I can just make the call whether or not to purchase it on the spot, based on how long the queues are at the transfer desk. Changi is usually pretty efficient in arrivals, it is just a question of whether you strike a queue at Immigration, then another one at check-in that has the potential to slow you down.

Edited: 4:12 am, September 29, 2013
7. Re: Changi - Scoot-thru vs normal checkin for Silkair flight

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, October 01, 2014