We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Delta.com vs ebookers.com

Sevenoaks, England...
Delta.com vs ebookers.com

Hey Guys,

Planning a family holiday to the USA next year, and are looking at flights. My problem is that when looking on Delta.com the price total is £190 more than if I were to book exactly the same flights through 'ebookers'. Is there a reason behind this price difference and would I be better off spending the extra cash to book directly with the airline instead of through a middle-man?

Please look at this screenshot to see what I mean - https:/…2018.51.57.png

Also, if I booked through ebookers, would I still be able to access the flights through the Delta website, as on there I believe you can do things such as your allocated seats, upgrade to Economy Comfort and get the info on their mobile app? I read online that sometimes you're given a reference number you can put into Delta's website but I'm not too sure on this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jon

Edited: 1:59 pm, September 28, 2013
22 replies to this topic
Atlanta, Georgia
1. Re: Delta.com vs ebookers.com

Delta has a "best fare guarantee" and I personally, like a lot of people on this forum, would never buy air from a 3rd party. As it is you have a code share and the potential for passing the buck if you have trouble is too high.

Can we explain away the GBP190 difference?

Well, can't read the details but has ebookers yet told you all the fees and taxes?

I can just see in ebookers that you have adults, a child and a youth. I can't read the Delta, but do these age groups actually translate in Delta's own terms? Is this child a lap infant?

As one of your transatlantic flights is operated by Virgin, can you price out the trip ion their website for another comparison?

Sevenoaks, England...
2. Re: Delta.com vs ebookers.com

Hi there, thanks for the reply.

Just looked on ebookers website and they have a note at the top which reads 'Prices are quoted in GBP and include all taxes and fees. Airline and payment card fees may apply.', so I presume all of the taxes and fees are already included in that cost?

As for the age groups, Deltas website doesn't do age groups, so we're down as 5 passengers whereas ebookers gave us an option and we put in 2X Adult (18+), 3X Children (aged 15,12&9).

On Virgin Atlantic's website they don't actually allow you do do multicity bookings, only the first and last journeys together (they don't do the internals on there!) so what would you suggest for that?

Jon

Massachusetts
reviews: 18
3. Re: Delta.com vs ebookers.com

One bad experience with a ticket broker was enough for me. If something goes wrong, and you have to go through ebookers to get help, it may not be a fun experience. I had a problem and trying to get re booked through the broker from abroad was a nightmare. The fine print is worth reading before you buy.

Atlanta, Georgia
4. Re: Delta.com vs ebookers.com

I tried another "booking" for comparison and didn't learn much.

I am guessing it may be related to variations in currency conversion?

Sevenoaks, England...
5. Re: Delta.com vs ebookers.com

So you'd say its worth the extra money just to be safe with Delta then? I can see what you mean about currency conversion but I didn't think it would be that much!

Does anyone know about with ebookers if you can access the flight details through Delta? (See my original post)

Thanks for your help everyone so far.

UK
reviews: 84
6. Re: Delta.com vs ebookers.com

As for the age groups, Deltas website doesn't do age groups, so we're down as 5 passengers whereas ebookers gave us an option and we put in 2X Adult (18+), 3X Children (aged 15,12&9).

========

Seems to me that's your difference right there. On the Delta website it says ;

"Travel Between Countries

You may find discounted child fares when traveling outside the U.S. or when traveling between certain countries. The price of the ticket will depend on the age of the child.

For assistance with your discounted child fare or infant ticket please call Delta Reservations Office."

=========

Which I read as code for "our website is pants and you cant even select child fares, its necessary to phone".

So, with Expedia details in hand I'd phone delta, tell them the issue (that their "never knowingly undersold" thing doesnt seem to be working, and book with them, spelling everything phonetically, eg Tango Romeo Alpha etc.

This way you get your fare atr Expedia or lower prices and no one in the way to muddy the waters should an issue arise.

Worthing, United...
reviews: 11
7. Re: Delta.com vs ebookers.com

Hi

You could also try KLM, booking through their website on occasion you get Delta fares much cheaper than from Delta and when you receive your confirmation you can also find your Delta ticket number and keep an eye on your booking on the Delta website. Also any changes you might want to make, I did this and moved my son from Economy to Economy Comfort, you can do direct with Delta and no agency fees.

Jackie

Sevenoaks, England...
8. Re: Delta.com vs ebookers.com

Thanks for the that, I'll give Delta a ring tomorrow and post back what they say.

Would that mean I'll need to book over the phone or is there a chance they'll be able to do a voucher code or something similar as we won't be able to actually book it tomorrow (we need to make sure we give the bank a call as well to let them know we'll be making some big payments!)

Edit: I'll give that a try now Jackie!

Edited: 4:16 pm, September 28, 2013
Sevenoaks, England...
9. Re: Delta.com vs ebookers.com

Just looked on KLM's website, but unfortunately they won't show the 1st flight to San Francisco from Heathrow with Virgin, only options being stopover flights with both KLM and Delta :(

Any other sites that might help or am I good to go ahead with giving Delta a call then?

Thanks again.

UK
reviews: 84
10. Re: Delta.com vs ebookers.com

<<Thanks for the that, I'll give Delta a ring tomorrow and post back what they say.

Would that mean I'll need to book over the phone >>

Thats what I read their website as saying

<<or is there a chance they'll be able to do a voucher code or something similar >>

I very much doubt it

<<as we won't be able to actually book it tomorrow (we need to make sure we give the bank a call as well to let them know we'll be making some big payments!)>>

I would use a credit card and accept the higher charge for that but if you dont want to, doesn't your bank have anyone working on Sundays even if just mornings?? I would get a new one. Seriously.

Reply to: Delta.com vs ebookers.com
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted