We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Norwegian nightmare

Tampere, Finland
reviews: 4
Norwegian nightmare

We have experienced something that no one should experience when flying long haul flights. We booked flights from Helsinki to Bangkok and back from Norwegian and they failed in almost every step of the way. Our first leg from Helsinki to Oslo was ok but then the troubles started. The long haul aircraft from Oslo to Bangkok was broken before it even took off causing a 24 hour delay on the flight depature. Norwegian staff gave announcements only in Norwegian until us "foreigners" demanded to hear them also in English. They arranged us a crappy airport hotel for the wait (and 4 hour sleep) and made us come to the Oslo airport at 5 am just to see that there has been another delay. No text messages or emails whatsover to inform us. Eventually we were flown to Stockholm to board a new aircraft.

The return trip was even worse. The aircraft broke down AGAIN before takeoff and set us for another long wait and another night in airport hotel. The staff was absent and notifications were made only by hand written pieces of paper taped on the gate. The food voucher we got was only valid at Burger King from dozens of restaurants available. Again, Norwegian staff was absent during our wait at the hotel. Information was given by the front desk by two printed sheets of paper. We were given one free 3 minute telephone call which was nowhere near enough to call to Norwegian customer service TO NORWAY. Eventually we ended up getting an over 900 baht bill for calling them. The customer service couldn't help us to get a flight to get back home to Helsinki after 24 hour wait in Bangkok. Two different persons took our phone number and promised to call back but they never did. Basically they left us in Bangkok without a flight back home.

Fortunately there were seats available in one Finnair flight for us to get in and after paying 46000 baht we are finally on our way back home.

This has been a very expensive and nighmarish lesson to learn NOT TO USE NORWEGIAN EVER AGAIN. After they have your money you are on your own. No help, no service, no information, no nothing.

34 replies to this topic
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth
reviews: 29
1. Re: Norwegian nightmare

<<<<<<The return trip was even worse. The aircraft broke down AGAIN before takeoff >>>>>

wrong! Worse would be taking off in a "broken" plane and never having the privilige of landing again.

You got delayed. Millions across the world do every single day - no matter what airline is being used.

Worse things have happened to people in planes !

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 15
2. Re: Norwegian nightmare

Like other airlines, Norwegian's been having some issues with their new Dreamliners. If they did leave you stranded it's very poor although to be fair to them it's hard to tell if that's exactly what happened. Nothing against Norwegian but the relatively low-frequency of departures and lack of alliance partners or interline agreements makes me hesitant to fly with them longhaul.

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 15
3. Re: Norwegian nightmare

I wonder if this was the plane the OP was scheduled to fly on:

reuters.com/article/2013/09/28/us-boeing-nor…

Tampere, Finland
4. Re: Norwegian nightmare

Could you paste the link again, please? Seems to be a bit short... Thanks!

Llanelli, United...
reviews: 194
5. Re: Norwegian nightmare

The link works for me. This website does not display the links in full, but the info is there!

Tampere, Finland
6. Re: Norwegian nightmare

Ok, thanks! Maybe it's my ipad causing it not to open. I actually found several articles regarding Dreamliner problems and it all makes more sense now. I just wish Norwegian would have told all this right to us from the beginning. Now it only made them look bad with the poor information and lack of support.

Portland, Oregon
reviews: 38
7. Re: Norwegian nightmare

Norwegian is an LCC - they never promised first class services

(maybe you should boycott Boeing as well?)

Edited: 12:49 pm, September 28, 2013
Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 127
8. Re: Norwegian nightmare

The only thing you can do is write a review on the www.airlinequality.com website that way it will be avialble for others to read.

London, United...
reviews: 23
9. Re: Norwegian nightmare

To be fair here, it does sound like a nightmare trip, with poor communications and management of it, have you written and complained and were you offered compensation for the excessive delays?

Worthing, United...
reviews: 11
10. Re: Norwegian nightmare

Hi

I agree with Froggy, it does sound awful, I hope you get over it soon.

I think I will leave booking the Dreamliner for a year or two.

Jackie

Reply to: Norwegian nightmare
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions