We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Possible US Government shutdown

Buffalo, New York
reviews: 11
Possible US Government shutdown

I am flying next Tuesday. Should I be worried about the threatened shutdown of our government? Could it affect air travel?

7 replies to this topic
Liverpool, UK
reviews: 13
1. Re: Possible US Government shutdown

Unlikely.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g1-i10702-k68630…

Buffalo, New York
2. Re: Possible US Government shutdown

thanks for the reassurance. RJ=regional jet--got it.

Fortaleza, CE
reviews: 344
3. Re: Possible US Government shutdown

Should know by Monday who would be declared essential and when layoffs, if any, would take effect. Air traffic controllers should be declared "essential," so little or no effect there. The number of Immigration and Customs agents available could possibly be affected (as they were during the recent sequestration), so delays could be longer than usual. During the sequestration, I think some flights were canceled. Delays varied widely by airport. I'd guess that if there are effects, most would not take effect until Tuesday, but I have no inside information.

Edited: 4:57 pm, September 27, 2013
Coffs Harbour...
reviews: 136
4. Re: Possible US Government shutdown

When i read this headline I thought someone was kidding! And we think third world government systems are inept.......

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
reviews: 201
5. Re: Possible US Government shutdown

We are traveling Monday as well. I am quite sure that after the problem that happened with closing airports during sequestration they will decide that air traffic controllers are essential employees. I am a bit concerned that they might reduce the TSA staff, so I am planning to arrive at the airport a bit early.

I do agree that our headlines read like a third world nation, and the situation is beyond embarrassing.

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 13
6. Re: Possible US Government shutdown

This might provide some background for non US members - I recall something similar several years ago when I was unable to visit some National Parks as they were closed as part of a shutdown although air traffic control is expected to be considered essential.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-24306933

Worthing, United...
7. Re: Possible US Government shutdown

Hi

I just had to look up 'sequestration' and it means budget cuts.

If it's anything like the cuts were having over here then they will be directed at those who are to weak and isolated to complain, the sick, the elderly, the infirm , children and anyone else who is vulnerable.

With Air Travel maybe they will just follow the UK's lead and tax it to the hilt.

Jackie

Reply to: Possible US Government shutdown
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted