We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Navigating Between Terminals at Newark

San Diego
Navigating Between Terminals at Newark

My international flight will arrive on Tuesday at Terminal B at 4pm. My domestic flight will leave Terminal C at 6pm. Is it enough time for the transfer between terminals? Can I walk from one terminal to another or should I take the tram? It will be my first time flying in and out of Newark. Thank you.

9 replies to this topic
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
1. Re: Navigating Between Terminals at Newark

You will have to take the land side train to get between B and C. It's not walkable in practice (if at all).

With immigration and customs, and then security at C, two hours is tight at EWR for US citizens, verging on impossible for visitors. Good luck.

Dunfermline, United...
reviews: 40
2. Re: Navigating Between Terminals at Newark

I made this change earlier this year, landing Terminal B then waiting an hour in Immigration which wasn't bad, by all accounts.

Then I had to collect bags (even if you are on one ticket) and head for Terminal C and go through security again. United tried to give me 90 minutes to do this change but I knew better and allowed 3 hours.

If I took United's advice and take the earlier flight, I would have missed it.

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 75
3. Re: Navigating Between Terminals at Newark

Just concurring with the above posts. You'll have to clear immigration, collect bags, go through customs, drop the bags at a bag drop which should be right after customs. At that point, you are outside security. Follow the signs to the airport train and take it from Terminal B to C. Exit the train. Go through security and walk to your gate. Two hours is very do-able for a US citizen if your first flight is on time but no contingency for any delay. Don't waste any time and hope for a short security line. If you're a US citizen, sign up for global entry if you still have time so you can bypass immigration.

This is all assuming you are booked on one ticket. If you are not, you'll have to carry your bags with you to terminal C and then re check with your new airline.

And if you're not a US citizen, you might as well call and try to schedule a later flight now as two hours will be really, really tight.

San Diego
4. Re: Navigating Between Terminals at Newark

Thank you all for your advices. I'm a US citizen; but I have 2 tickets. United told me that if I miss my domestic flight, I can take the next one since I'm using my frequent flyer mileage for this ticket. Is it true?

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
5. Re: Navigating Between Terminals at Newark

Lucie, yes United is correct in that, although it will be the next flight with available seats; they won't bump anyone off a flight to accommodate you. Hopefully they'll be able to accommodate you on the next flight (and of course that it won't be needed).

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 75
6. Re: Navigating Between Terminals at Newark

The key word is the next "available" flight. As long as you don't have some critical appointment that day or the next morning, I would not worry. But be aware if you miss the flight you could easily be stuck all day or overnight if it's a late in the day connection.

Rochester, NY
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
reviews: 53
7. Re: Navigating Between Terminals at Newark

I have a little over 2 hours between my International flights, too. How did you figure out what terminal each one would be in? We are flying in from Jamaica, so we will need to throw our liquor in our suitcase. Both flights are with United, so there is a belt right near Immigration for us to re-check, right? And then we just need to find the terminal for our connecting flight. We have flown Internationally several times, but it's our first connection through Newark.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
8. Re: Navigating Between Terminals at Newark

"How did you figure out what terminal each one would be in?"

Sometimes United includes this information on the reservation or boarding passes.

Which flights (numbers, origins and destinations) are you booked on? There are ways of finding out (at least historically) which terminals each flight uses.

Rochester, NY
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
reviews: 53
9. Re: Navigating Between Terminals at Newark

From MBJ flight 1450. Then EWR to ROC flight 3846. Both are United. I don't have boarding passes yet, but they normally say gate number at airport or something like that.

Edited: 1:42 pm, October 02, 2013
Reply to: Navigating Between Terminals at Newark
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted