We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best luggage identifiers?

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 46
Best luggage identifiers?

Hi

My OH insists on black / grey suitcases so we always struggle to identify our bags on the conveyor belts. Having bought and 'lost' (ie luggage arrived without them) various colourful tags, which ones do people recommend? Any homemade options?

Thanks!

53 replies to this topic
Cardiff, United...
reviews: 13
1. Re: Best luggage identifiers?

Any colourful ribbons, just tie them to the handles. Also pop a name and address within your care if a tag does come off.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
reviews: 44
2. Re: Best luggage identifiers?

I use fluorescent gaffa tape from my local electrical store, and tape a large X across the sides, and several times around. Yes it leaves a residue but it stands out like a Christmas tree - no chance of it being misidentified.

Brisbane, Australia
3. Re: Best luggage identifiers?

Well it depends on the airport you are departing from, but when I get my luggage plastic wrapped I can spot it a mile away.

Reading
reviews: 12
4. Re: Best luggage identifiers?

Put a colourful strap around the outside.

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 46
5. Re: Best luggage identifiers?

Thanks, all good ideas!

South Jersey
reviews: 63
6. Re: Best luggage identifiers?

I use fluorescent gaffa tape from my local electrical store, and tape a large X across the sides, and several times around. Yes it leaves a residue but it stands out like a Christmas tree - no chance of it being misidentified.

And someone who insists on black/grey luggage will go for this :)

Edited: 8:23 am, September 27, 2013
Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Pecs, Budapest
reviews: 6
7. Re: Best luggage identifiers?

I use colored cable ties. (Tape never seems to stay on. ) Thread trough the hole at one end of a zipper and cut off to about an inch or so, so that it won't get caught in the machines. I usually have one on each side of the case so that it's obvious no matter what the orientation on the carousel. Can leave them on for the next trip. But if you don't need them cut them off after the trip and the case is back to new.

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 117
8. Re: Best luggage identifiers?

Sadly my lurid green hard Samsonite cases with orange sides and blue handles are just not practical anymore, so use a few of Emirates bright red plastic tags and and a few stickers. The idea of coloured cable ties is a good one.

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Pecs, Budapest
reviews: 6
9. Re: Best luggage identifiers?

@ Scotland scout.

I use them all the time and have never had a problem. A pack of about 30 in four colors costs about $5. I still have 20 left from a pack I bought 8 years ago.

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 117
10. Re: Best luggage identifiers?

Must admit never seen coloured ones in the UK (but perhaps not really looked) will pick up some when Im over in a few months......

Reply to: Best luggage identifiers?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted