We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Expedia: Do not use this company

Hobart, Australia
reviews: 1
Expedia: Do not use this company

I recently booked a flight with Expedia and they have turned out to be the most incompetent and dishonest company I have ever had the misfortune to deal with.

I have been attempting to manage a flight cancellation by the airline (not Expedia's fault). This has taken 6 weeks and is still not resolved. My complaints of the company are:

1. Repeated guarantees to ring me back within certain time periods. They have not contacted me once.

2. No progress with changing my flight dates for 5 weeks, despite guarantees to resolve the issue within 5-7 working days.

3. Knowingly giving me a contact email which quite clearly states that it is an unmonitored inbox which shouldn't be replied to.

4. Repeated guarantees to send through an updated itinerary within certain time periods. The email never gets sent through to me.

After many phone calls, spending hours on hold, and waiting six weeks (while other flights which I have to change increase in price) the issue remains unresolved. I wonder if it will be resolved before my flight supposedly leaves in one months time.

Do not use this company if you want to actually get to your destination.

53 replies to this topic
Melbourne,Australia
reviews: 4
1. Re: Expedia: Do not use this company

I have used Expedia many many times & have found them to be first rate. Without knowing any details about your problem its difficult to comment but I personally never take any notice of first time posters with "Do Not Use "

Hobart, Australia
reviews: 1
2. Re: Expedia: Do not use this company

Have you ever actually had to deal with them ? Hopeless.

Atlanta, Georgia
reviews: 12
3. Re: Expedia: Do not use this company

Thank you for using the Trip Advisor complaint box. If you had joined TA *prior* to booking your flight, the folks here would have advised you to book directly with the airline rather than a third party site like Expedia. Flights change or get cancelled all the time, and it's much easier to resolve issues when you are not having to go through a middleman.

I'm assuming that you booked with Expedia to save a little money - curious if you feel that the cost savings was worth the aggravation you are currently experiencing.

-JimG

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 88
4. Re: Expedia: Do not use this company

You won't get much sympathy on here, especially for a first time poster.

Book directly next time and you won't have half the hassle of now.

Never booked with Expedia and never will.

5. Re: Expedia: Do not use this company

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 5:05 pm, September 27, 2013

Aberdeen, Scotland
reviews: 211
6. Re: Expedia: Do not use this company

I had a problem a few years ago when my BA flights got caught up in the BA strike and while it did take a long time on the phone to Expedia (about 45 mins) the flights were changed no problem at all.

San Deigo
7. Re: Expedia: Do not use this company

I have used expedia when I was traveling from London to LA.I was expecting the cheapest deal online but I didn't get it. I cancelled the bookings(which also was difficult ) and booked a cheaper deal from tripntourpackages. I don't recommend Expedia.

Worthing, United...
reviews: 11
8. Re: Expedia: Do not use this company

Hi

I don't use Expedia for the simple reason I find their website difficult to use.

I try them sometimes to compare prices but I always end up extremely annoyed. I start putting in dates from the calendar and suddenly the calendar has disappeared and I've clicked on an advert which I then have to close only to find the bloody calendar has gone back to today's date and the screen has changed to hotel and flight.

But saying that my son used them to book a flexible ticket from the USA to home and when he decided to stay over there (legally, he married his American girlfriend) he got his money back with no problems, just less $20 admin fee.

Still hate them and their rubbish website though.

Jackie

London, UK
reviews: 120
9. Re: Expedia: Do not use this company

I will continue to use expedia to book hotel rooms if they are cheaper than the hotel's own website. I've always found them very reliable and perfectly honest, and their terms and conditions are clear. I'd never book an airline ticket through an online third party though - it's just too much hassle if your flight gets changed or cancelled, as you've just discovered. Book direct with the airline or, if you must, use a proper travel agent you know you can reach easily by phone or that has a high street presence. But expedia are not dishonest. Call again and stay on the line until things get resolved to your satisfaction. You are entitled to a full refund if suitable alternative flights are not available.

Fortaleza, CE
reviews: 360
10. Re: Expedia: Do not use this company

I have dealt with Expedia. Canceled one of two reservations a few hours after I made them. No problem. Those who just make a "do not use" statement based on one experience are, rightly or wrongly, sometimes looking for revenge. First time poster who supplies few details. I doubt anyone who was going to use Expedia will not do so as a result of the post, but they have every right to complain and exercising caution when using any third party site (actually, when using any site) is always a good idea.

Edited: 7:47 am, September 27, 2013
Reply to: Expedia: Do not use this company
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted